Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kevin Mullin <mu...@us.ibm.com> on 2006/09/29 18:21:03 UTC

Tomcat User Authentication

Tomcat comes with a file, tomcat-users.xml, which is used for user
authentication and to determine what they can access.  We have our own
userid authentication process on our IBM mainframe computers which uses
something called RACF.  Is there a way to get Tomcat to use this processs
to determine proper userid and password authentication, in addition to
using its own tomcat-users.xml to determine what the individual is capable
of doing?

Kevin Mullin
Sr. Analyst
IBM Corporation
(206) 345-7068
mullink@us.ibm.com

RE: Tomcat User Authentication

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Kevin Mullin [mailto:mullink@us.ibm.com]
> Subject: Tomcat User Authentication
>
> We have our own userid authentication process on our IBM
> mainframe computers which uses something called RACF.  Is
> there a way to get Tomcat to use this processs to determine
> proper userid and password authentication, in addition to
> using its own tomcat-users.xml to determine what the
> individual is capable of doing?

You probably don't want to use tomcat-users.xml at all; replace it
completely with a JAAS-compliant interface to RACF.  Take a look at:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/realm-howto.html

Pay special attention to the JAAS Realm section, and study the JAAS
documention on the Sun web site.  We did it for our mainframes, using
both our traditional security and our native Kerberos mechanisms.  And
no, we won't send you the code.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.