Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Vladimir Ozerov <vo...@gridgain.com> on 2019/01/09 20:10:57 UTC

Re: Continuous queries and duplicates

Hi,

MVCC caches have the same ordering guarantees as non-MVCC caches, i.e. two
subsequent updates on a single key will be delivered in proper order. There
is no guarantees  Order of updates on two subsequent transactions affecting
the same partition may be guaranteed with current implementation (though. I
am not sure), but even if it is so, I am not aware that this was ever our
design goal. Most likely, this is an implementation artifact which may be
changed in future. Cache experts are needed to clarify this.

As far as MVCC, data anomalies are still possible in current
implementation, because we didn't rework initial query handling in the
first iteration, because technically this is not so simple as we thought.
Once snapshot is obtained, query over that snapshot will return a data set
consistent at some point in time. But the problem is that there is a time
frame between snapshot acquisition and listener installation (or vice
versa), what leads to either duplicates or lost entries. Some multi-step
listener installation will be required here. We haven't designed it yet.

Vladimir.

Posted by Vladimir Ozerov <vo...@gridgain.com>.
Hi Piotr,

Unfortunately I do not have answer to the question about ordering
guarantees during node crashes for the same affinity key. Hopefully some
other Ignite experts would be able to help.
But in any case I doubt we will be able to have public guarantee on the
same affinity key, as opposed to current approach (key itself),

Vladimir.

Posted by Piotr Romański <pi...@gmail.com>.