Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Roger Whitcomb <Ro...@actian.com> on 2019/12/07 01:17:25 UTC

Building using Java 11?

Hi all,
                I'm trying to build latest Pivot trunk code with Java 11 and am running into this error:

C:\Projects\pivot\trunk\core\src\org\apache\pivot\io\FileSerializer.java:27: error: package javax.activation does not exist
import javax.activation.MimetypesFileTypeMap;
                       ^
C:\Projects\pivot\trunk\core\src\org\apache\pivot\io\FileSerializer.java:40: error: cannot find symbol

Which I can resolve by adding the "--release 8" switch.  But, then I run into this error, which I cannot seem to resolve:

C:\Projects\pivot\trunk\wtk\src\org\apache\pivot\wtk\BrowserApplicationContext.java:28: error: package netscape.javascript does not exist
import netscape.javascript.JSObject;
                          ^
C:\Projects\pivot\trunk\wtk\src\org\apache\pivot\wtk\BrowserApplicationContext.java:412: error: cannot find symbol

Search of stackoverflow, or other Java forums has so far not helped.  Any thoughts or experience with this??

Thanks,
~Roger

RE: Building using Java 11?

Posted by Roger Whitcomb <Ro...@actian.com>.
That makes sense. But, in addition, we should probably make a new Jenkins job that specifically builds using “openjdk 8” b/c the current “openjdk” build uses the latest available, which is Java 11, and which is currently failing (and what prompted this whole thread). BTW, compiling with Java 10, targeting 8 seems to work, which I’ve been using for quite a while, although this is not sustainable, since Java 10 is not an LTS release. I haven’t tried 12, 13, or 14 yet.

I currently don’t see a problem (could change soon, though, pending further investigation), targeting: “compile with java 8, run with java 8+”, as well as “compile with java 11, run with java 9+”.  I was just hoping that we could also add “compile with java 11, run with java 8+”, but that doesn’t look to be possible. I’m a little surprised since 11 is the next LTS release after 8, so to me, the “compile with 11, run with 8+” option seems only reasonable.

But, I will work on getting the first option to happen (as in “compile with 11, run on 9+”), as you suggested.

Thanks,
~Roger

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Re: Building using Java 11?