Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Alex <my...@gmail.com> on 2018/03/17 01:28:48 UTC

wetransfer phish

Hi,

wetransfer.com is being used to send links to PDF phishing documents.
It's otherwise a trusted service, and there's really nothing in the
body to indicate it's dangerous or any different than other legitimate
uses for the same service.

https://pastebin.com/CEuFfb7K

Of course these can be reported to wetransfer (although I don't see a
direct way in the email itself), but my users are super sensitive to
these, and we won't be around long if this continues.

Ideas on how to block these are greatly appreciated.

Re: wetransfer phish

Posted by Leandro <le...@spfbl.net>.

> > I don't know how to extract mail addresses of body, using SA. But you can
> > query each mail address at our URIBL, like a hostname but using scape for
> > arroba:
> >
> > ubuntu@matrix:~$ host flinn.flexer\@runtriz.com.uribl.spfbl.net
> > flinn.flexer\@runtriz.com.uribl.spfbl.net has address 127.0.0.2
> >
> > You can report the abuse for wetransfer and for us. We can blacklist any
> > wetransfer user if any of its links have a malware.
>
> Thank you for this, but believe it or not, the user insisted that we
> not block the sender because it's apparently from a partner, and
> reportedly have fixed their account. I also think this is a problem
> with the wetransfer service, and not necessarily just the email
> account.

Great! Delisted then.

The objective is just blacklist it until no more malware. For you all
have a chance to know that there is a problem with this user
and that you must take caution. Just it.

Re: wetransfer phish

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: wetransfer phish

Posted by Leandro <le...@spfbl.net>.

Re: wetransfer phish

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

>>> is this pdf sendt to virustotal.com ?
>>>
>>> does it survice clamav testing ?
>>

>> It appears it's not widely recognized by virustotal scanners and not
>> currently identified by clamav. I've reported it to clamav.
>>
>> It's a phish that isn't detected as malicious until its malicious
>> payload is downloaded. What I want is a way to detect these before
>> that happens.
>>
> There's enough traits in that msg that in a META with a uri rule should make
> detectiion rather simple.

Yes, I agree, and I've added some obvious ones, but I think my real
problem with this is that it's fraud through a legitimate use of a
trusted service, apparently requires no prior authorization to use,
and there's an API that lets you script it. This means no real ability
to process it based on header rules and changes in the body are easily
subverted.

Re: wetransfer phish

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.

Re: wetransfer phish

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: wetransfer phish

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.
Alex skrev den 2018-03-17 02:28:

> https://pastebin.com/CEuFfb7K

is this pdf sendt to virustotal.com ?

does it survice clamav testing ?

but i think such service thay provide is like "let me hold your pocket
for you" :=)

never seen before in real problems