Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au> on 2017/06/28 00:59:53 UTC

Buildbot upgrades broken ? (was: Re: Forums and Wiki VM Migrations)

Hi

> On 28 Jun 2017, at 2:18 am, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Gavin McDonald wrote:
>> https://forum.openoffice.org ...
>> https://wiki.openoffice.org ...
>> We need to migrate these services over to new fully puppetized VMs.
>
> One thing to remember: while we can live without buildbots (that were left crippled by a similar infrastructure upgrade) we can't have a long downtime for the Forum or Wiki; so if Infra is embarking on this, then this time the job must be completed successfully. I see the JIRA issues already take care of stating this, but it's better to point it out again

The Operating Systems were upgraded on some Buildbot VMS whilst others were replaced altogether. Mostly, I see this as the OpenOffice project need to keep up to speed with Operating Systems, associated software packages for those systems and ensure that the OpenOffice software can run on ever evolving systems. Windows 7 as an example was EOL years ago and security updates no longer available. Ubuntu 12.04 the same thing. You are complaining we replaced 5 year old and 10 year old Operating systems and that this broke your builds.

Builds break, upgrades of Operating Systems and their underlying software packages happen. Our build systems will always be evolving so projects must learn to cope with this and ensure their builds change with it.

I would like to have all the OpenOffice builds fixed. So, please open INFRA tickets for all broken builds where you see that INFRA needs to do something - install software etc. But sitting around doing nothing is not going
to get them fixed.

Gav…

Re: Buildbot upgrades broken ?

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 28/06/2017 Gavin McDonald wrote:
> You are complaining we replaced 5 year old and 10 year old Operating systems and that this broke your builds.

No, I was complaining that newer versions of other software were
installed and this (although I can understand that there may have been
incompatibilities) caused issues. I see Infra is now taking action about
this and I highly appreciate it - and in the meantime we are testing
Matthias' builds that were done on Windows 10, so I think things can be
restored.

On the "old OS" discussion: to keep it short, our release builds must be
done on an old system as they will run on any Linux-based system that is
NEWER than the one used for building. Of course, insofar as we use
buildbots just to check that the build doesn't break, it's fine to keep
them recent; but if we were to use them to build releases, then we have
to do it on an old system. This holds for Linux, probably not for
Windows and Mac.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Buildbot upgrades broken ?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Am 28.06.2017 um 02:59 schrieb Gavin McDonald:
> Hi
>
>> On 28 Jun 2017, at 2:18 am, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Gavin McDonald wrote:
>>> https://forum.openoffice.org ...
>>> https://wiki.openoffice.org ...
>>> We need to migrate these services over to new fully puppetized VMs.
>> One thing to remember: while we can live without buildbots (that were left crippled by a similar infrastructure upgrade) we can't have a long downtime for the Forum or Wiki; so if Infra is embarking on this, then this time the job must be completed successfully. I see the JIRA issues already take care of stating this, but it's better to point it out again
> The Operating Systems were upgraded on some Buildbot VMS whilst others were replaced altogether. Mostly, I see this as the OpenOffice project need to keep up to speed with Operating Systems, associated software packages for those systems and ensure that the OpenOffice software can run on ever evolving systems. Windows 7 as an example was EOL years ago and security updates no longer available. Ubuntu 12.04 the same thing. You are complaining we replaced 5 year old and 10 year old Operating systems and that this broke your builds.

Hi Gavin,

Are you mixing up Windows 7 with Windows XP?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-US/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Windows 7 will not be EOL until 2020 (and MS might even extend that
date, given the market share)

Apart from that, OpenOffice builds perfectly on Windows 10, the problem
is the compiler that was changed in the buildbot. We do need a specific
building environment.

> Builds break, upgrades of Operating Systems and their underlying software packages happen. Our build systems will always be evolving so projects must learn to cope with this and ensure their builds change with it.

Acknowledged.
Last week I set up a VM with Windows 10 and did successfully build AOO.
I would love to get our Windows buildbots running again.

> I would like to have all the OpenOffice builds fixed. So, please open INFRA tickets for all broken builds where you see that INFRA needs to do something - install software etc. But sitting around doing nothing is not going
> to get them fixed.

Oh yes, I see.
But looking at my last contact with Infra, someone else should open
those tickets... :-D

Regards, Matthias