Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Brian O'Rourke <br...@gmail.com> on 2005/01/09 08:50:37 UTC

Chainsaw v2 Plugin for Eclipse

>Response to: Chainsaw v2 Plugin for Eclipse (Dino Di Cola)
>
>Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 08:10:54 +1100
>From: Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>
>Subject: Chainsaw v2 Plugin for Eclipse
>
>only in our minds... If you have Eclipse plugin development experience
>I'd welcome any thoughts/discussions you might have on log4j-dev mailing
>list?

I am quite interested in this topic. I've browsed through the Chainsaw
source code and at first blush it seems very strongly coupled with
AWT. Have you given any thought to what core pieces of Chainsaw (if
any) might be pulled further away from the UI?

Regards,
Brian O'Rourke

Re: Chainsaw v2 Plugin for Eclipse

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.
Brian O'Rourke wrote:

>I am quite interested in this topic. I've browsed through the Chainsaw
>source code and at first blush it seems very strongly coupled with
>AWT. Have you given any thought to what core pieces of Chainsaw (if
>any) might be pulled further away from the UI?
>
>Regards,
>Brian O'Rourke

Sure, we've thought about it.  But like many pieces of software
development, sometimes you only realise the best way to really do things
after you've taken a good go at it via one approach.

Do you have any big areas within Chainsaw that you think are a little
too 'close' to Swing than they should be?  The core 'bus' logic that
gets LoggingEvents from the log4j bus and distributes them to the
appropriate listener, and many of the *Model related classes are
probably not UI specific.  The main gui areas are of course Swing
specific, and would need to be rewritten for SWT if we went that way for
an Eclipse plugin.

Feel free to make suggestions, and supply patches if you get an itch to
pitch in and help if you like, it would be well received.

cheers,

Paul Smith