Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Koennecke <Ma...@psi.ch> on 2000/07/10 15:46:36 UTC

Re: Buffering problem when sending data to the client (Apache, Tomcat )

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Boaz Shaham wrote:

> Hi all
>
> We are using Apache 1.3.12 along with tomcat 3.1, currently on Windows NT.
> We have some servlets which send data to the clients in relatively small
> chunks (in response to an HTTP request), using "flush" after writing each
> chunk.
> However, it seems that the apache has huge buffers, and the "flush" does not
> affect it; thus it sends big chunks once in a while, and in our case the
> client waits a long time until it gets all the data in one big chunk.

  I have the same problem but with Apache and JServ. Someone responded
  that the buffering happens in the mod_jserv module of Apache. In fact
  I found code in jserv_aip11,12.c which opens buffered sockets. In order
  to fix this both knowledge of the Apache API's and a MS - Windows C
  compiler would be needed (I'am on NT, sorry). Where the latter might
  be the least problem.

  I probably go for my own buffer and redisplaying a whole page anytime
  I get new data until the lengthy operation is finished. BTW: I'am
  really annoyed about these differences between servlet engines.

       I hope this helps and does not leave you to frustrated,

                      Mark Koennecke