Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Gerd Schrick <ma...@schrick-design.de> on 2013/02/02 22:56:16 UTC

Re: Release 2.1

Dear Lenya Devs,

sorry for the maybe 'stupid' question, but why not stay with Ant?

(The following is just MY opinion based on MY experiences with Ant. I've no
serious experiences with other build environements, so it's not meant to be a
comparison.)

As you know, we're heavily working with Lenya since years and Ant is doing a
really great job.
We had a project where we tried to integrate/create the build process in Maven,
what was an unsuccessfull PITA ;-)

IMO Ant is very complex, powerfull and flexible(!) but still easy to understand
if someone tries to get into it.
First use was the Lenya build but meanwhile we use it for additional tasks:
A)
complex xml content-cleanup and preprocessing/preparing for import in Lenya
(many 100 files in one bunch and it's really fast)

B)
with very little changes in the Lenya build/run scripts it's possible to create
(really easy!) different builds (pubs and modules) from one codebase. These
independant builds reside in different directories and with the run script I can
quickly select what build to start (using the builtin Jetty). This is extremely
helpfull as I'm developing for different customers.

C)
last but not least a "distribute" script/build. Based on a given build the
necessary files are collected and some adjustments are made so that this copy of
the build fits for the destination environment.
Our usecase:
1 Build and testing is done on our testserver with all pubs in it and no proxy
nor mail server.
2 the 3 production servers should use the same build but with a different set of
pubs each and
3 the proxy settings (within the publication) are partly different as well as
the notification (mail) and database (datasource) settings
First we used shell scripts for it. But job 3 was really hard. With Ant it's
easy (and fast).

Kind regards,
 Gerd

Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org> hat am 28. Januar 2013 um 20:20
geschrieben:

Re: Release 2.1

Posted by Gerd Schrick <ma...@schrick-design.de>.
Hi Rudolf,

no, I have not tried 2.1 yet.
But I really should do this soon :-)

Best,
 Gerd

rudolf.korhummel@uniklinik-freiburg.de hat am 4. Februar 2013 um 16:36
geschrieben:

Re: Release 2.1

Posted by Rainer Schöpf <ra...@gmx.net>.
Concerning Java 1.7:

I copied the ant.jar, ant-launcher.jar and ant-contrib.jar from /usr/share/java
(where the packages ant and ant-contrib installed them) to tools/lib, and was
able to build lenya with Java 1.7.

   Rainer

Re: Release 2.1

Posted by Rainer Schöpf <ra...@gmx.net>.
On Mon, 4 Feb 2013, rudolf.korhummel@uniklinik-freiburg.de wrote:

 > We  use Linux too.
 > I got problems building  the 2.1 branch with Java 1.7, but I didn't  tried
 > to find out what's wrong.

I think I found the source of this problem: running the bundled ant with Java
1.7 sets ant.java.version to 1.6. When ant.java.version is compared to the
target.vm version in the build scripts, this causes a failure.

Here's the debug output from the bundled ant:

Apache Ant version 1.7.1 compiled on June 27 2008
Buildfile: build.xml
Adding reference: ant.PropertyHelper
Detected Java version: 1.6 in: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0_13/jre
Detected OS: Linux

Whereas running the version of ant that comes with my Ubuntu Linux prints this:

Apache Ant(TM) version 1.8.2 compiled on December 3 2011
Trying the default build file: build.xml
Buildfile: /mounts/software/rainer/lenya/apache-lenya-2.1.X/build.xml
Adding reference: ant.PropertyHelper
Detected Java version: 1.7 in: /usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0_13/jre
Detected OS: Linux

Re: Release 2.1

Posted by ru...@uniklinik-freiburg.de.

Re: Release 2.1

Posted by Gerd Schrick <ma...@schrick-design.de>.
"Rainer Schöpf" <ra...@gmx.net> hat am 4. Februar 2013 um 11:59
geschrieben:

Re: Release 2.1

Posted by Rainer Schöpf <ra...@gmx.net>.

Re: Release 2.1

Posted by Rudolf Korhummel <ru...@korhummel.de>.
Hi Lenya Devs,

following the discussion about maven and ant I think that everybody
agrees that maven shouldn't be a feature of the next release.

So I would suggest the following for the 2.1 release.

1) No java 1.4 support..  java 1.5 or 1.6 is required. (I tried 1.7
but it didn't work).
2) Bug fixing.
3) if  required: replacement of the binaries  (iibs), but I think this
will take time.
4) All other feature should be done later.

WDYT ?
Does anybody know if 3) is necessary ?

Best

Rudolf