Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be> on 2008/04/25 14:28:32 UTC

Developing an archetype: delegation/access to parent?

L.S.,

I'm developing a new archetype for Apache ServiceMix and have two questions

We already have a fair amount of Maven archetypes and it would be nice if I
could reuse those within my new archetype.  Is there a way to run another
archetype as part of the archetype generation process somehow?

Second, is there a way to access information in the parent pom.xml file
while running my archetype?  An example: I would like to generate the
project name based on the parent pom.xml name.  How can I do this?

Thanks in advance for any help on this,

Gert

-----
---
Gert Vanthienen
http://www.anova.be

Re: Developing an archetype: delegation/access to parent?

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be>.
Raphaël,

Thanks for your input!  As you suggested, I have raised issue ARCHETYPE-163
on the subproject built by a secondary maven archetype.

For the second question: I have looked at the Appfuse multimodule
archetypes, but they generated the contents of the subproject's pom.xml
together with the parent so if the child pom refers to ${artifactId}, that
is the Maven archetype command line parameter instead of the parent pom's,
right?  But that actually isn't what I was looking for here...

When I run an archetype in a folder that already contains a pom.xml, I would
like to be able to access the information in this pom.  An example: if this
pom.xml contains a project name of 'Hello world', I would like to be able to
access this in my archetype, so the subproject could be called 'Hello world
:: Service Assembly' or something like that.

Gert

Raphaël wrote:

> Hi Gert
>
> 2008/4/25 Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be>:
>>
>>  L.S.,
>>
>>  I'm developing a new archetype for Apache ServiceMix and have two
>> questions
>>
>>  We already have a fair amount of Maven archetypes and it would be nice
>> if I
>>  could reuse those within my new archetype.  Is there a way to run
>> another
>>  archetype as part of the archetype generation process somehow?
>
> Not yet.
> Feel free to raise a enhancement jira.
>

>>  Second, is there a way to access information in the parent pom.xml file
>>  while running my archetype?  An example: I would like to generate the
>>  project name based on the parent pom.xml name.  How can I do this?
>
> There is something like this when one generate a project with a
> multi-module archetype.
>

> Regards,
>
> Raphaël
>

>>  Thanks in advance for any help on this,