Posted to users@ws.apache.org by "Shapira, Yoav" <Yo...@mpi.com> on 2004/01/13 19:21:04 UTC

Vector, Hashtable, Java Collections

Hi,
Looking at the XML-RPC source code, I see mostly java.util.Vector and
java.util.Hashtable used as opposed to the java.util.List (or
java.util.Collection) and java.util.Map interfaces.  Why is that?  Is it
to allow compiling and using XML-RPC with JDK 1.1?  Or perhaps another
reason?  A similar question follows as to the implementation types, i.e.
why not use ArrayList and HashMap?

Looking at XmlWriter, it would be trivial to modify it to accept a Map
instead of Hashtable and a List instead of Vector.  I'd be happy to
contribute a patch...

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

This e-mail, including any attachments, is a confidential business communication, and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary and/or privileged.  This e-mail is intended only for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied, printed, disclosed or used by anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system and notify the sender.  Thank you.

Re: Vector, Hashtable, Java Collections

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.
John Wilson wrote:

> On 13 Jan 2004, at 18:21, Shapira, Yoav wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>> Looking at the XML-RPC source code, I see mostly java.util.Vector and
>> java.util.Hashtable used as opposed to the java.util.List (or
>> java.util.Collection) and java.util.Map interfaces.  Why is that?  Is it
>> to allow compiling and using XML-RPC with JDK 1.1?
>

> We have users who build the client into Applets. They are (or were)
> concerned that using Java 2 collections would break thier code on some
> platforms.

This has come up in conversations with users that I have had off list.
I think for 2.0 I would like to create an applet subproject and migrate
the core to Java 1.2.  There are several opportunities for modularizing
the code that I'd like to explore; your MinML-RPC project might fit
right in if we structure things right.  I'd like to be able to deliver
server-only and client-only jars as well as allow alternate transports
seamlessly by adding a jar to the classpath.  Finally, I'd like to move
away from the static base class XmlRpc that we have now to something
using composition.

Hopefully I can make time soon to get started!

--
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks

Re: Vector, Hashtable, Java Collections

Posted by John Wilson <tu...@wilson.co.uk>.
On 13 Jan 2004, at 18:21, Shapira, Yoav wrote:

> Hi,
> Looking at the XML-RPC source code, I see mostly java.util.Vector and
> java.util.Hashtable used as opposed to the java.util.List (or
> java.util.Collection) and java.util.Map interfaces.  Why is that?  Is
> it
> to allow compiling and using XML-RPC with JDK 1.1?

We have users who build the client into Applets. They are (or were)
concerned that using Java 2 collections would break thier code on some
platforms.

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
http://www.wilson.co.uk