Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by netentity <jc...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/02 07:17:00 UTC

SpamAssassin and bounced e-mails...

This may be more of a subject for sendmail or a sendmail milter, but I'll
give it a shot here.

I have been receiving bounced spam that go to user accounts that have never
existed on my mail server (i.e. admin, sales, info, accounts, etc).  Upon
examining the header when I finally get the mailer daemon postmaster message
they obviously get a high SpamAssassin score and a YES for the
X-Spam-Status.

I want to take anything that scores as spam by SpamAssassin to my domain(s)
and quarantine it and not bounce it back as an unknown mailbox with a 550
error.  It's going to eventually going to come back to me anyway.  If
SpamAssassin tags it as spam, it's an unknown box, chances are it is spam
trying to get to the postmaster account.

What I'm doing thus far is just running the bounced e-mail messages through
procmail and having their entries added to relaydb (i.e. FreeBSD port of
OpenBSD's relaydb).  I want to skip the bounce step, wait for the bounced
spam to come back and quarantine the messages so they can be added to
relaydb if the message has a X-Spam-Flag is YES.  I am going to migrate to
amavisd as I have time to research.  From what I understand amavisd can do
both in and out bound e-mail filtering.

I use another machine with fetchmail and procmail to pull folders with
confirmed spam down to add entries to relaydb.  I then upload the updated
relaydb file to the mail server and run spamd-setup on it.