Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by miztaken <ju...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/08 21:33:24 UTC

How to handle frequent updates.

Hi there,
I know lucene is for indexing and not for frequent updates and delete.
But i have been using lucene to store my matrix as a document.
Since with my algorithm the value of matrix can change so i am updating the
value.
But for this i have to close and reopen indexReader and in additional to
that the reader is not able to read the documents hold in the RAM directory
or buffer in indexWriter... i.e. documents that are hold in memory by
indexwriter due to other parameters set for indexwriter so eventually i have
to optimize or flush the writer and reopen the reader to get accurate
results.

Is there some work around for this type of job?
Can any one suggest me any other open source API ?

Thank You
miztaken

Re: How to handle frequent updates.

Posted by Karl Wettin <ka...@gmail.com>.
13 jul 2008 kl. 16.58 skrev miztaken:

>> What sort of operations do you use the matrix for? How large can it
>> grow? Can you give an example of what the matrix might contain?
>> What was the reason to solve your problem using Lucene? Is there some
>> specific feature that made something easier or faster than the
>> solutions you discarded?
>
> I want to do some mathematical operation which requires matrix
> manipulation,
> and those matrix can be of huge size even though stored as sparse so
> i want
> an embedded system (DB or API) which allow me to store, update,
> delete and
> retrieve cell of matrix as fast as possilble considering disk
> constraints.
>
> Any suggestion?

I still don't understand why you choose Lucene in the first place. Do
you for instance query the index? Or is Lucene only used to persist
the matrix?

Perhaps HAMA, BDB or a relational database could work for you.

        karl

Re: How to handle frequent updates.

Posted by miztaken <ju...@gmail.com>.
>You want updates that show up in the reader/searcher without latency?
>I believe LUCENE-1313 is an attempt at that.

Thanks for the info.

>What sort of operations do you use the matrix for? How large can it
>grow? Can you give an example of what the matrix might contain?
>What was the reason to solve your problem using Lucene? Is there some
>specific feature that made something easier or faster than the
>solutions you discarded?

I want to do some mathematical operation which requires matrix manipulation,
and those matrix can be of huge size even though stored as sparse so i want
an embedded system (DB or API) which allow me to store, update, delete and
retrieve cell of matrix as fast as possilble considering disk constraints.

Any suggestion?

Thanks
miztaken

               karl