Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Justin Williams <ju...@naturalwebs.com> on 2002/12/04 09:10:36 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Beginner How-To

Hi Michael
I recently set up my first server for an ISP that has always been a Windows
shop.  As the resident penguin-herder, there, I got my shoulder tapped when
they decided they wanted to give it a try.

Most of your questions will be better answered if you can answer this one,
though: What are you setting up the server for?  I.e. are you setting up a
production server to send out pages to the rest of the world, or are you
setting up a testing server, that you only want visible to you on your local
network?

[users@httpd] apache2 + mod_perl2 + dbd::oracle

Posted by Fabian Kreitner <fa...@ainea-ag.de>.
I have problems connecting to an oracle db using mod_perl but cant figure
out where the problem is. The script works fine from the bash but not
through perl::registry. The script only sets the environment variables and
then tries a connect.

Any suggestions please? If you need further information please tell.

Thank you for your time.

Trace with mod_perl:
--------------------

     DBI 1.30-nothread dispatch trace level set to 2
     -> DBI->connect(DBI:Oracle:PERG, pid_10023, ****)
     -> DBI->install_driver(Oracle) for linux perl=5.008 pid=87 ruid=40019
euid=40019
        install_driver: DBD::Oracle version 1.12 loaded from
/opt/ainea/perl/lib/site_perl/5.8.0/i686-linux/DBD/Oracle.p
     <- install_driver= DBI::dr=HASH(0x82f1c6c)
     -> connect for DBD::Oracle::dr (DBI::dr=HASH(0x82f1c6c)~0x834e818
'PERG' 'pid_10023' **** HASH(0x82cef60))
     -> DESTROY for DBD::Oracle::db (DBI::db=HASH(0x82c70d4)~INNER)
          DESTROY for DBI::db=HASH(0x82c70d4) ignored - handle not initialised
     <- DESTROY= undef at DBI.pm line 503
     !! ERROR: 12154 'Error while trying to retrieve text for error
ORA-12154 (DBD ERROR: OCIServerAttach)'
     <- connect= undef at DBI.pm line 503
     -> errstr in DBD::_::common for DBD::Oracle::dr
(DBI::dr=HASH(0x82f1c6c)~0x834e818)
     <- errstr= 'Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-12154
(DBD ERROR: OCIServerAttach)' at DBI.pm line 50
        DBI->connect(PERG) failed: Error while trying to retrieve text for
error ORA-12154 (DBD ERROR: OCIServerAttach)

Trace from bash:
----------------

     DBI 1.30-nothread dispatch trace level set to 2
     Note: perl is running without the recommended perl -w option
     -> DBI->connect(DBI:Oracle:PERG, pid_10023, ****)
     -> DBI->install_driver(Oracle) for linux perl=5.008 pid=388 ruid=40019
euid=40019
        install_driver: DBD::Oracle version 1.12 loaded from
/opt/ainea/perl/lib/site_perl/5.8.0/i686-linux/DBD/Oracle.p
     <- install_driver= DBI::dr=HASH(0x81e9e14)
     -> connect for DBD::Oracle::dr (DBI::dr=HASH(0x81e9e14)~0x824afc4
'PERG' 'pid_10023' **** HASH(0x81c56c4))
     <- connect= DBI::db=HASH(0x8246cf0) at DBI.pm line 503
     -> STORE for DBD::Oracle::db (DBI::db=HASH(0x812b604)~INNER
'PrintError' 1)
     <- STORE= 1 at DBI.pm line 545
     -> STORE for DBD::Oracle::db (DBI::db=HASH(0x812b604)~INNER
'AutoCommit' 1)
     <- STORE= 1 at DBI.pm line 545
     <- connect= DBI::db=HASH(0x8246cf0)
     -> DESTROY for DBD::Oracle::db (DBI::db=HASH(0x812b604)~INNER)
     <- DESTROY= undef
     -- DBI::END
     -> disconnect_all for DBD::Oracle::dr (DBI::dr=HASH(0x81e9e14)~0x824afc4)
     <- disconnect_all= '' at DBI.pm line 565
     -> DESTROY in DBD::_::common for DBD::Oracle::dr
(DBI::dr=HASH(0x824afc4)~INNER)
     <- DESTROY= undef during global destruction

Versions:
---------

mod_perl-1.99_07
apache-2.0.43
perl 5.8.0

Re: [users@httpd] Beginner How-To

Posted by Jim Walls <k6...@earthlink.net>.
Justin Williams wrote:

> Here's the scoop on DNS, in a very small nutshell:
>
> Remember old television?  The Adams Family?  Remember their address?  Bear
> with me here..  this is old stuff...  They lived at 1313 Mockingbird Lane.

Wrong Old TV show.  The Munsters lived at 1313 Mockingbird Lane.
I don't remember the Adams Family address.

Otherwise it was a good analogy.

-----------------------
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/
626-302-8515    FAX  626-302-7501
AMSAT member 32537 / WSWSS member 395
To send me PGP encrypted E-Mail, use:
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/PublicKey.html

RE: [users@httpd] Beginner How-To

Posted by Michael Klama <no...@tampabay.rr.com>.
Justin
You can run me through simulation anytime!!  In a nutshell...great
explanation.  Thanks.

Mike

Posted by Chris Taylor <ch...@x-bb.org>.

SSL is usually compiled into Apache itself (via mod_ssl), but you are
(sort of) correct on how it works. When the request for an SSL page
comes through TCP, and SSL session is started and THEN the HTTP part
(Apache) takes over to handle it.

A bit over-simplified, but the fact is SSL is involved before HTTP,
so that explains why there's the 1 IP = 1 SSL domain rule.

HTH.

Chris Taylor - The guy with the PS2 WebServer
Email: chris@x-bb.org - PGP: http://www.x-bb.org/chris.asc

Posted by Justin Williams <ju...@naturalwebs.com>.

Posted by Michael Klama <no...@tampabay.rr.com>.

Posted by Justin Williams <ju...@naturalwebs.com>.

Posted by Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net>.
From: "Ian Stuart" <Ia...@ed.ac.uk>

> On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 12:20, Michael Klama wrote:
> > I do have one other question for now.  At what point do I need more than
> > one static IP address?
> .. when you have more than one computer
> (or more than one network card in one computer, and no helpful & savvie
> techie people to help you.

Not quite.  Until mod_ssl uses StartTLS commands to upgrade SSL connections,
there is no SSL VirtualHost support.  So you need more than one IP address
if you host multiple SSL sites (for now).

  Issac

RE: [users@httpd] Beginner How-To

Posted by Ian Stuart <Ia...@ed.ac.uk>.
On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 12:20, Michael Klama wrote:
> I do have one other question for now.  At what point do I need more than
> one static IP address?
.. when you have more than one computer
(or more than one network card in one computer, and no helpful & savvie
techie people to help you.

Seriously, I have a workstation (linux, as it happens) with a single
network card [and a single (static) IP number].

On this system, I have the following httpd installed:

Apache 2.0.x, with 4 virtual hosts (one of which is a proxy)
Apache 2.0.x + mod-perl
Apache 2.0.x + ssl
Apache 1.3.x + ssl
Apache 1.3.x + mod_perl

I'm using a combination of aliased host names[1] and port numbers to
distinguish between the various web sites.

[1] For example: foo.me.com, which has an IP number of 1.2.3.4
       foo1.me.com is an alias for foo.me.com,
       foo2.me.com is another alias for foo.me.com,
       vfoo.me.com is yet a third alias for foo.me.com.

--
--==++
Ian Stuart: Edinburgh University Data Library.

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
              -- Mary.

 Personal web site: http://lucas.ucs.ed.ac.uk/

RE: [users@httpd] Beginner How-To

Posted by Michael Klama <no...@tampabay.rr.com>.

Posted by Justin Williams <ju...@naturalwebs.com>.
Here's the scoop on DNS, in a very small nutshell:

Remember old television?  The Adams Family?  Remember their address?  Bear
with me here..  this is old stuff...  They lived at 1313 Mockingbird Lane.
So, keep that relationship in mind: Adams Family's House = 1313 Mockingbird
Lane.  Now Gomez and Thing most assuredly did not share teh same residence in
that house, right?  Thing crashed in a cigar box...

So, Consider Lurch to be your web server, Apache.  Apache keeps track of where
Gomez and Thing both live.  Seperate rooms.  If a visitor comes to the house
to visit Gomez, Lurch took the visitor to the library, or torture room, or
wherever Gomez was.  If that visitor wanted to see Thing, Lurch too them to
smoke a cigar...

With me so far?

So Lurch = Apache
Gomez = Web 1.
Thing = Web 2.
1313 Mockingbird Lane = IP Address of both websites.

Now, think about small towns in America.  Almost invariably, there is one old
busybody who knows everything about everybody.  That busybody is the DNS.  A
visitor to the town asks that busybody where Gomez Adams lives, and gets
pointed to 1313 Mockingbird Lane.

Likewise, a packet on the net looking for web 1, gets pointed by the DNS to

Posted by Justin Williams <ju...@naturalwebs.com>.
OK.