Posted to users@nifi.apache.org by Jean-Sebastien Vachon <js...@brizodata.com> on 2021/09/03 17:03:44 UTC

UI is not as responsive...

Hi all,

The UI has been slowing down considerably over the last few days/weeks. I tried restarting Nifi but it does not really make any difference.
I tuned the JVM and there is no sign of heavy GC going on.

What other things should I investigate? There is currently around 4.2 MB of data in all my flows... so not much going on and it is still slow.

My server as 128 CPUs and 512GB of Ram of which 15 are allocated to Nifi.
I do have other processes running but nothing to cause any slowdown.
The load on the server is around 25 and is 98.5% idle. There is nothing going on regarding storage as well.

Thanks

Jean-Sébastien Vachon
Co-Founder & Architect
Brizo Data, Inc.
www.brizodata.com<https://outlook.office365.com/mail/options/mail/messageContent/www.brizodata.com>

Re: UI is not as responsive...

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Vachon <js...@brizodata.com>.
Thanks. I'll give Firefox a try and see how it goes

________________________________
From: Mark Payne <ma...@hotmail.com>>
Reply to: "users@nifi.apache.org<ma...@nifi.apache.org>" <us...@nifi.apache.org>>
Date: Saturday, 4 September 2021 at 15:55
To: "users@nifi.apache.org<ma...@nifi.apache.org>" <us...@nifi.apache.org>>

OK so there are really 3 parts to consider here in order to understand what is making things sluggish:

- Front-end rendering

- Backend processing

- Network between your browser and the back end

So a few things to consider here:

- If you’re seeing the sluggishness in a Process Group with only a few elements, that leads me to believe it’s probably NOT the browser rendering that’s an issue. But another thing to check, to help verify: zoom out using your mouse wheel to the point where NiFi no longer renders the stats on the processors. Once you reach this level of zoom, the rendering is much cheaper. Do you still the same lag, or is the lag less at this point?

- To understand how long the backend is taking to process the request, you can add the following to your conf/logback.xml file:

    <logger name=“org.apache.nifi.web.filter.TimerFilter” level=“DEBUG” />

   This will cause nifi to log in the nifi-app.log file something like:

GET /flow/1234 from localhost duration for Request ID 4567: 102 millis

   So watch the logs here. Are you seeing the request times in the logs are constantly very short while the UI takes a long time to render the request?

- Do you have any idea what kind of latency and throughput you expect between the machine running the browser and the machine running nifi?

Also, a few other things to understand:

- What version of NiFi are you running?

- What version of Java?

- When you say the UI is not as responsive, what kind of delay are you seeing? 1 second to refresh the UI? 10 seconds?

Thanks

-Mark

On Sep 3, 2021, at 1:42 PM, Jean-Sebastien Vachon <js...@brizodata.com>> wrote:

Hi Mark,

thanks for the quick response. I am running a single stand-alone Nifi instance (1.13.2)

I tried with a smaller group (1 input port and 8 processors), and I still experience slow downs.

I've looked at the timing of the backend calls and everything seems in order.

I am using Edge but some of my colleagues are using Firefox/Chrome and experienced the same.

One of the flows we are dealing with is relatively complex and involves about 50 processors.

I will try to split it into smaller groups and see how it goes.

Posted by Lucas 4MDG <lu...@4mdg.com.br>.
Hi!

Re: UI is not as responsive...

Posted by Matt Gilman <ma...@gmail.com>.
Josef,

Posted by Jo...@swisscom.com.

Re: UI is not as responsive...

AW: Re: UI is not as responsive...

Posted by Christian Pfarr <z0...@pm.me>.
Hi Pierre,

we saw this issue with chrome as well in our systems.
Switching to Firefox solves the problem but i would like to track this issue.
Do you have a github issue for me or apache jira ticket?

Regards,
Christian

Re: UI is not as responsive...

Posted by Pierre Villard <pi...@gmail.com>.