Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Peter Hargreaves <pd...@netscape.net> on 2002/02/21 00:15:01 UTC

[C2] Netscape Shows Squares For Text

Hi Folks,

I'm getting little squares instead of text in Netscape 4.7 - when I view my
Cocoon application. It also screws up Netscape 6.1. It sounds like a browser
problem I know, but it depends on where my C2 application is hosted and I need
to work round it somehow.

The application has tested fine with both Netscape browsers under my own system,
and under one trial hosting account - it is only under a second trial account
the problem arises.

http://www.hub.org:8080/self-roster/docs/rows-menu.html

http://web12.2020media.com/self-roster/docs/rows-menu.html

Under this second account the NS4.7 browser seems to have trouble identifying
the charset, so it shows the text as little squares for each char. Then it
reloads the page and gets it right the second time!

The following header appears as it should when viewing the source from the
browsers in all cases:

<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

The second system is a Unix system of some sort, I think, - could this be a clue?

Any tips, similar experiences or ideas very welcome.

Peter.

My system is: Gateway G6-350 (392,612k RAM), NT4.0sp6, jdk-1.3.1, tomcat-4.0.1,
cocoon 2.0.2-dev, NS Nav 4.7, NS 6.1, IE 5.0,