Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Oleg Ruchovets <or...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/11 12:45:00 UTC

max number of map/reduce per node

Hi
   I found that my job runs with such parameters:
mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum    4
mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum    2

   I try to change these parameters from my java code

    properties.put("mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum" , "8");
    properties.put("mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum" , "4");

But executing the job I didn't get updated values of these parameters , it
remains:

mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum 4
mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum 2

Should I change the parameters on hadoop XML configuration files?

Please advice.

Re: max number of map/reduce per node

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi,

My reply inline.

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Oleg Ruchovets <or...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>    I found that my job runs with such parameters:
> mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum    4
> mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum    2
>
>    I try to change these parameters from my java code
>
>     Properties properties = new Properties();
>     properties.put("mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum" , "8");
>     properties.put("mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum" , "4");

These properties are a per-tasktracker configuration, not applicable
or read from clients.

Also, if you're tweaking client-end properties, using the Java
Properties class is not the right way to go about it. See
Configuration API:
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/api/org/apache/hadoop/conf/Configuration.html

> But executing the job I didn't get updated values of these parameters , it
> remains:
>
> mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum 4
> mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum 2
>

> Should I change the parameters on hadoop XML configuration files?

Yes, as these are per *tasktracker* properties, not client ones.

--
Harsh J

Re: max number of map/reduce per node

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.