Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jan Borsodi <jb...@ez.no> on 2002/09/04 13:17:04 UTC

User problem

I have a problem with users in Subversion (I'm using 0.14.2). It seems that all
commits made to the repository is done with the user "anonymous" instead of the
user I've checked out the repository with. I tried looking trough the
documentation (faq and cookbook) for information on this but found none.
Any clues?

And secondly when are roles planned, or should this be done with the pre-commit
hooks?

--
- Jan Borsodi <jb...@ez.no> - Systems Engineer @ eZ systems - Web: http://ez.no
  QtVu: http://www.qtvu.org  -  RegExplorer: http://regexplorer.sourceforge.net

Re: User problem

Posted by Jan Borsodi <jb...@ez.no>.
Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:

> Jan Borsodi <jb...@ez.no> writes:
>
> > Jan Borsodi <jb...@ez.no> writes:

> > Here's the log, I checked out a simple directory (password required) and used
> > the -N option to keep the HTTP traffic low. I then added a directory and
> > committed (no password required).
>
> Did you see the last mail from someone else on the list?  It was a
> good catch;  you're using Limit instead of LimitExcept.
>
> In other words, you've got the reverse behavior you want.  You're
> requiring a password on read operations, but not write operations.
> That's why a password was required to checkout (when it shouldn't be),
> and when you committed, Apache never bothered to issue an auth
> challenge at all.

Yup, I understand that now, many thanks for your help.

Re: User problem

Posted by Jan Borsodi <jb...@ez.no>.
Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:

> Jan Borsodi <jb...@ez.no> writes:
>
> > Jan Borsodi <jb...@ez.no> writes:

> > Here's the log, I checked out a simple directory (password required) and used
> > the -N option to keep the HTTP traffic low. I then added a directory and
> > committed (no password required).
>
> Did you see the last mail from someone else on the list?  It was a
> good catch;  you're using Limit instead of LimitExcept.
>
> In other words, you've got the reverse behavior you want.  You're
> requiring a password on read operations, but not write operations.
> That's why a password was required to checkout (when it shouldn't be),
> and when you committed, Apache never bothered to issue an auth
> challenge at all.

I added the LimitExcept in the config but it didn't help with anything. All
commits are still done as 'anonymous'. I also checked the network traffic with
ethereal and Apache DID issue an auth challenge. The reply from the client also
included the auth key.

What's wrong?

Re: User problem

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: User problem

Posted by Jan Borsodi <jb...@ez.no>.

Re: User problem

Posted by Nicholas Riley <nj...@uiuc.edu>.
On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 05:19:40PM +0200, Jan Borsodi wrote:

> Changing the Limit to LimitExcept (as noted in the other reply)
> won't help with this, will it?

Yes, it will.  You are limiting	access to reading, but not to
writing.  That's exactly the reverse of what you want to do.

--
=Nicholas Riley <nj...@uiuc.edu> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>
        Pablo Research Group, Department of Computer Science and

Re: User problem

Posted by Jan Borsodi <jb...@ez.no>.
Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:

> Jan Borsodi <jb...@ez.no> writes:
>
> > The server is setup with basic authentication, I use:
> >
> > <Location /svn/nextgen>
> >
> > #    Order deny,allow
> > #    Deny from all
> > #    Allow from .ez.no
> >
> >   DAV svn
> >   SVNPath /var/www/nextgen
> >
> >   # Limit write permission to list of valid users.
> >   <Limit GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
> >      # Require SSL connection for password protection.
> >      # SSLRequireSSL
> >
> >      AuthType Basic
> >      AuthName "Authorization from zev"
> >      AuthUserFile /var/www/nextgen/svn.user
> >      Require valid-user
> >   </Limit>
> > </Location>
> >
> > But still I only get the "anonymous" user on commits, what's wrong?
>
> If you checkout a fresh working copy over http, and then attempt to
> commit, does the client prompt you for a password?

Yup.

> If you do get prompted for a password, then we need a network trace of
> the commit.  Use ethereal or something to capture the http dialogue,
> and post it here.

I'll try it out.

Re: User problem

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Jan Borsodi <jb...@ez.no> writes:

> The server is setup with basic authentication, I use:
>
> <Location /svn/nextgen>
>
> #    Order deny,allow
> #    Deny from all
> #    Allow from .ez.no
>
>   DAV svn
>   SVNPath /var/www/nextgen
>
>   # Limit write permission to list of valid users.
>   <Limit GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
>      # Require SSL connection for password protection.
>      # SSLRequireSSL
>
>      AuthType Basic
>      AuthName "Authorization from zev"
>      AuthUserFile /var/www/nextgen/svn.user
>      Require valid-user
>   </Limit>
> </Location>
>
> But still I only get the "anonymous" user on commits, what's wrong?

If you checkout a fresh working copy over http, and then attempt to
commit, does the client prompt you for a password?

If not, something is wrong.  That means apache isn't issuing a
challenge for some reason... maybe it can't find the AuthUserFile or
something.

Re: User problem

Posted by Nicholas Riley <nj...@uiuc.edu>.
On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 04:40:36PM +0200, Jan Borsodi wrote:
>   # Limit write permission to list of valid users.
>   <Limit GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
    ^^^^^^
You want 'LimitExcept', not 'Limit'.

Re: User problem