Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Sean K <sk...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/19 02:53:27 UTC

logging with UIMA

Hi,

I am new to UIMA.

I am using the UIMA Simple Server configured in a tomcat web application.
http://uima.apache.org/d/uima-addons-current/SimpleServer/simpleServerUserGuide.html

When I go to the web page using this url:

http://localhost:8080/uimaweb/uima?mode=form

I can enter some text.   I replaced the  WhitespaceTokenizer.pear with
another tokenizer (the roomNumberAnnotator.pear from another
tutorial).

I press submit and response <result> </result> just contains the raw
original text.

I have tried to put either a logging.properties or log4j.properties
into my web app's WEB-INF/classes and set the level to SEVERE or
DEBUGGING.   but I dont see the logs entries made by UIMA.

This java logging is confusing too.

How do you generate logs in a tomcat web app with UIMA?

### this is the log4j.properties   ### below this is the logging.properties.
# Root logger option
log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, stdout

# Direct log messages to stdout
log4j.appender.stdout.Target=System.out
log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{ABSOLUTE} %5p %c{1}:%L - %m%n

# Root logger option
log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, file, stdout

# Direct log messages to a log file
log4j.appender.file=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.file.File=log/uima.log
log4j.appender.file.MaxFileSize=1MB
log4j.appender.file.MaxBackupIndex=1
log4j.appender.file.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.file.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{ABSOLUTE} %5p %c{1}:%L - %m%n

# Direct log messages to stdout
log4j.appender.stdout.Target=System.out
log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{ABSOLUTE} %5p %c{1}:%L - %m%n

#### logging.properties
#
# Specify the handlers to create in the root logger
# (all loggers are children of the root logger)
# The following creates two handlers
handlers = java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler, java.util.logging.FileHandler

# Set the default logging level for the root logger
.level = DEBUG

# Set the default logging level for new ConsoleHandler instances
java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level = DEBUG

# Set the default logging level for new FileHandler instances
java.util.logging.FileHandler.level = DEBUG
java.util.logging.FileHandler.pattern=%h/uima-logging%u.log

# Limiting size of output file in bytes:
java.util.logging.FileHandler.limit=50000

# Number of output files to cycle through, by appending an
# integer to the base file name:
java.util.logging.FileHandler.count=1

# Style of output (Simple or XML):
java.util.logging.FileHandler.formatter=java.util.logging.SimpleFormatter

# Set the default formatter for new ConsoleHandler instances
java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.formatter = java.util.logging.SimpleFormatter
java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level=SEVERE

# Set the default logging level for the logger named com.mycompany

org.apache.uima.level = DEBUG