Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Peter Verhas <pe...@verhas.com> on 2019/09/01 19:13:20 UTC

Re: [LANG] Q: introduction of new development tool

I wrote an article about how Apache Commons Lang could use Java::Geci to
keep JavaDoc up to date. It will be published on Wednesday 16:00CEST time
on https://javax0.wordpress.com I copy the text of the article here so that
you can read before it is published and also if you have any comment before
it is published.

Peter

There are many projects where the documentation is not up-to-date. It is
easy to forget to change the documentation after the code was changed. The
reason is fairly understandable. There is a change in the code, then debug,
then hopefully change in the tests (or the other way around in the reverse
order if you are more TDD) and then the joy of a new functioning version
and the happiness about the new release makes you forget to perform the
cumbersome task updating the documentation.

In this article, I will show an example, how to ease the process and to
ensure that the documentation is at least more up-to-date.

# The tool

The tool I use in this article is Java::Geci, which is a code generation
framework. The original design aim of Java::Geci is to provide a framework
in which, it is extremely easy to write code generators that inject code
into already existing Java source code or generate new Java source files.
Hence the name: GEnerate Code Inline or GEnerate Code, Inject.

What does a code generation support tool do when we talk about
documentation?

On the highest level of the framework, the source code is just a text file.
Documentation, like JavaDoc, is text. Documentation in the source directory
structure, like markdown files, is text. Copying and transforming parts of
the text to other location is a special form of code generation. This is
exactly what we will do.

# Two uses for documentation

There are several ways of Java::Geci to support documentation. One of these
I will describe in this article.

The way is to locate some lines in the unit tests and copy the content
after possible transformation into the JavaDoc. I will demonstrate this
using a sample from the `apache.commons.lang` project current master
version after release 3.9. This project is fairly well documented although
there is room for improvement. This improvement has to be performed with as
little human effort as possible. (Not because we are lazy, but rather
because the human effort is error-prone.)

It is important to understand that Java::Geci is not a preprocessing tool.
The code gets into the actual source code and it gets updated. Java::Geci
does not eliminate the redundancy of copy-paste code and text. It manages
it and ensures that the code remains copied and created over and over again
whenever something inducing change in the result happens.

# How Java::Geci works in general

If you have already heard about Java::Geci you can skip this chapter. For
the others here is the brief structure of the framework.

Java::Geci generates code when the unit tests run. Java::Geci actually runs
as one or more unit tests. There is a fluent API to configure the
framework. This essentially means that a unit test that runs generators is
one single assertion statement that creates a new `Geci` objects, calls the
configuration methods and then calls `generate()`. This method,
`generate()` returns true when it has generated something. If all the code
it generated is exactly the same as it was already in the source files then
it returns `false`. Using an `Assertion.assertFalse` around it will fail
the test in case there was any change in the source code. Just run the
compilation and the tests again.

The framework collects all the files that were configured to be collected
and invokes the configured and registered code generators. The code
generators work with abstract `Source` and `Segment` objects that represent
the source files and the lines in the source files that may be overwritten
by generated code. When the generators all have finished their work the
framework collects all segments, inserts them into the `Source` objects and
in case any of them significantly changes then it updates the file.

Finally, the framework returns to the unit test code that started it. The
return value is `true` if there was any source code file updated and
`false` otherwise.

# Examples into JavaDoc

The JavaDoc example is to automatically include examples into the
documentation of the method
`org.apache.commons.lang3.ClassUtils.getAbbreviatedName()` in the Apache
Commons Lang3 library. The documentation currently in the `master` branch
is:

```java
    /**
     * <p>Gets the abbreviated class name from a {@code String}.</p>
     *
     * <p>The string passed in is assumed to be a class name - it is not
checked.</p>
     *
     * <p>The abbreviation algorithm will shorten the class name, usually
without
     * significant loss of meaning.</p>
     * <p>The abbreviated class name will always include the complete
package hierarchy.
     * If enough space is available, rightmost sub-packages will be
displayed in full
     * length.</p>
     *
     * <table>
     * <caption>Examples</caption>
     *
     *
     * </table>
     * @param className  the className to get the abbreviated name for, may
be {@code null}
     * @param len  the desired length of the abbreviated name
     * @return the abbreviated name or an empty string
     * @throws IllegalArgumentException if len <= 0
     * @since 3.4
     */
```

The problem we want to solve is to automatize the maintenance of the
examples. To do that with Java::Geci we have to do three things:

<ol>
<li>Add Java::Geci as a dependency to the project</li>
<li>Create a unit test that runs the framework</li>
<li>Mark the part in the unit test, which is the source of the
information</li>
<li>replace the manually copied examples text with a Java::Geci `Segment`
so that Java::Geci will automatically copy the text from the test there</li>
</ol>

## Dependency

Java::Geci is in the Maven Central repository. The current release is
`1.2.0`. It has to be added to the project as a test dependency. There is
no dependency for the final LANG library just as there is no dependency on
JUnit or anything else used for the development. There are two explicit
dependencies that have to be added:

```
    <dependency>
      <groupId>com.javax0.geci</groupId>
      <artifactId>javageci-docugen</artifactId>
      <version>1.2.0</version>
      <scope>test</scope>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>com.javax0.geci</groupId>
      <artifactId>javageci-core</artifactId>
      <version>1.2.0</version>
      <scope>test</scope>
    </dependency>
```
The artifact `javageci-docugen` contains the document handling generators.
The artifact `javageci-core` contains the core generators. This artifact
also bring the `javageci-engine` and `javageci-api` artifacts. The engine
is the framework itself, the API is, well the API.

## Unit test

The second change is a new file,
`org.apache.commons.lang3.docugen.UpdateJavaDocTest`. This file is a simple
and very conventional Unit tests:

```java
/*
 * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) ...
 */
package org.apache.commons.lang3.docugen;

import *;

public class UpdateJavaDocTest {

  @Test
  void testUpdateJavaDocFromUnitTests() throws Exception {
    final Geci geci = new Geci();
    int i = 0;
    Assertions.assertFalse(geci.source(Source.maven())

.register(SnippetCollector.builder().files("\\.java$").phase(i++).build())

.register(SnippetAppender.builder().files("\\.java$").phase(i++).build())

.register(SnippetRegex.builder().files("\\.java$").phase(i++).build())

.register(SnippetTrim.builder().files("\\.java$").phase(i++).build())

.register(SnippetNumberer.builder().files("\\.java$").phase(i++).build())

.register(SnipetLineSkipper.builder().files("\\.java$").phase(i++).build())

.register(MarkdownCodeInserter.builder().files("\\.java$").phase(i++).build())
                    .splitHelper("java", new MarkdownSegmentSplitHelper())
                    .comparator((orig, gen) -> !orig.equals(gen))
                    .generate(),
            geci.failed());
  }

}
```

What we can see here is huge `Assertions.assertFalse` call. First, we
create a new `Geci` object and then we tell it where the source files are.
Without getting into the details, there are many different ways how the
user can specify where the sources are. In this example, we just say that
the source files are where they usually are when we use Maven as a build
tool.

The next thing we do is that we register the different generators.
Generators, especially code generators usually run independent and thus the
framework does not guarantee the execution order. In this case, these
generators, as we will see later, very much depend on the actions of each
other. It is important to have them executed in the correct order. The
framework let us achieve this via phases. The generators are asked how many
phases they need and in each phase, they are also queried if they need to
be invoked or not. Each generator object is created using a builder pattern
and in this, each is told which phase it should run. When a generator is
configured to run in phase `i` (calling `.phase(i)`) then it will tell the
framework that it will need at least `i` phases and for phases `1..i-1` it
will be inactive. This way the configuration guarantees that the generators

<ol>
<li>SnippetCollector</li>
<li>SnippetAppender</li>
<li>SnippetRegex</li>
<li>SnippetTrim</li>
<li>SnippetNumberer</li>
<li>SnipetLineSkipper</li>
<li>MarkdownCodeInserter</li>
</ol>

Technically all these are generators, but they do not "generate" code. The
`SnippetCollector` collects the snippets from the source files.
`SnippetAppender` can append multiple snippets together, when some sample
code needs the text from different parts of the program. `SnippetRegex` can
modify the snippets before using regular expressions and replaceAll
functionality (we will see that in this example). `SnippetTrim` can remove
the leading tabs and spaces from the start of the lines. This is important
when the code is deeply tabulated. In this case, simply importing the
snipped into the documentation could easily push the actual characters off
of the printable area on the right side. `SnippetNumberer` can number
snippet lines in case we have some code where the documentation refers to
certain lines. `SnipetLineSkipper` can skip certain lines from the code.
For example, you can configure it so that the import statements will be
skipped.

Finally, the real "generator" that may alter the source code is
`MarkdownCodeInserter`. It was created to insert the snippets into the
Markdown-formatted files, but it works just as well for Java source files
when the text needs to be inserted into a JavaDoc part.

The last two but one configuration calls tell the framework to use the
`MarkdownSegmentSplitHelper` and to compare the original lines and those
that were created after the code generation using a simple `equals`.
`SegmentSplitHelper` objects help the framework to find the segments in the
source code. In Java files, the segments are usually and by default between

```java
 //<editor-fold id="segmentId">
```

and

```java
 //</editor-fold>
```

lines. This helps to separate the manual and the generated code. The
editor-fold is also collapsible in all advanced editor so you can focus on
the manually created code.

In this case, however, we insert into segments that are inside JavaDoc
comments. These JavaDoc comments more like Markdown than Java in the sense
that they may contain some markup but also HTML friendly. Very
specifically, they may contain XML comments that will not appear in the
output document. The segment start in this case, as defined by the
`MarkdownSegmentSplitHelper` object is between

```java
     <!-- snip snipName parameters ... -->
```

and

```java
     <!-- end snip -->
```

lines.

The comparator has to be specified for a very specific reason. The
framework has two comparators built-in. One is the default comparator that
compares the lines one by one and character by character. This is used for
all file types except Java. In the case of Java, there is a special
comparator used, which recognizes when only a comment was changed or when
the code was only reformatted. In this case, we are changing the content of
the comment in a Java file, so we need to tell the framework to use the
simple comparator or else it will not relaize we updated anything. (It took
30 minutes to debug why it was not updating the files first.)

The final call is to `generate()` that starts the whole process.

## Mark the code

The unit test code that documents this method is
`org.apache.commons.lang3.ClassUtilsTest.test_getAbbreviatedName_Class()`.
This should look like the following:

```java
    @Test
    public void test_getAbbreviatedName_Class() {
        // snippet test_getAbbreviatedName_Class
        assertEquals("", ClassUtils.getAbbreviatedName((Class<?>) null, 1));
        assertEquals("j.l.String",
ClassUtils.getAbbreviatedName(String.class, 1));
        assertEquals("j.l.String",
ClassUtils.getAbbreviatedName(String.class, 5));
        assertEquals("j.lang.String",
ClassUtils.getAbbreviatedName(String.class, 13));
        assertEquals("j.lang.String",
ClassUtils.getAbbreviatedName(String.class, 15));
        assertEquals("java.lang.String",
ClassUtils.getAbbreviatedName(String.class, 20));
        // end snippet
    }
```

I will not present here the original, because the only difference is that
the two `snippet ...` and `end snippet` lines were inserted. These are the
triggers for the `SnippetCollector` to collect the lines between them and
store them in the "snippet store" (nothing mysterious, practically a big
hash map).

## Define a segment

The really interesting part is how the JavaDoc is modified. At the start of
the article, I already presented the whole code as it is today. The new
version is:

```java
    /**
     * <p>Gets the abbreviated class name from a {@code String}.</p>
     *
     * <p>The string passed in is assumed to be a class name - it is not
checked.</p>
     *
     * <p>The abbreviation algorithm will shorten the class name, usually
without
     * significant loss of meaning.</p>
     * <p>The abbreviated class name will always include the complete
package hierarchy.
     * If enough space is available, rightmost sub-packages will be
displayed in full
     * length.</p>
     *
     * <table>
     * <caption>Examples</caption>
     &lt;!-- snip test_getAbbreviatedName_Class regex=&quot;

 replace=&#039;/~s*assertEquals~((.*?)~s*,~s*ClassUtils~.getAbbreviatedName~((.*?)~s*,~s*(~d+)~)~);/*
--&gt;

you can write manually anything here, the code generator will update it
when you start it up

     <!-- end snip -->
     * </table>
     * @param className  the className to get the abbreviated name for, may
be {@code null}
     * @param len  the desired length of the abbreviated name
     * @return the abbreviated name or an empty string
     * @throws IllegalArgumentException if len &lt;= 0
     * @since 3.4
     */
```
The important part is where the lines 15...20 are. (You see, sometimes it
is important to number the snippet lines.) The line 15 signals the segment
start. The name of the segment is `test_getAbbreviatedName_Class` and when
there is nothing else defines it will also be used as the name of the
snippet to insert into. However, before the snippet gets inserted it is
transformed by the `SnippetRegex` generator. It will replace every match of
the regular expression

```
\s*assertEquals\((.*?)\s*,\s*ClassUtils\.getAbbreviatedName\((.*?)\s*,\s*(\d+)\)\);
```

with the string

```
```

Since these regular expressions are inside a string that is also inside a
string we would need `\\\\` instead of a single `\`. That would make look
our regular expressions look awful. Therefore the generator `SnippetRegex`
can be configured to use some other character of our choice, which is less
fence-phenomenon prone. In this example, we use the tilde character and it
usually works. What it finally results when we run it is:

```
     &lt;!-- snip test_getAbbreviatedName_Class regex=&quot;

 replace=&#039;/~s*assertEquals~((.*?)~s*,~s*ClassUtils~.getAbbreviatedName~((.*?)~s*,~s*(~d+)~)~);/*
--&gt;
"j.l.String"}</td></tr>
"j.l.String"}</td></tr>
"j.lang.String"}</td></tr>
"j.lang.String"}</td></tr>
"java.lang.String"}</td></tr>
     <!-- end snip -->
```

# Summary / Takeaway

Document updating can be automatized. At first, it is a bit cumbersome.
Instead of copying and reformatting the text the developer has to set up a
new unit test, mark the snippet, mark the segment, fabricate the
transformation using regular expressions. However, when it is done any
update is automatic. It is not possible to forget to update the
documentation after the unit tests changed.

This is the same approach that we follow when we create unit tests. At
first, it is a bit cumbersome to create unit tests instead of just
debugging and running the code in an ad-hoc way and see if it really
behaves as we expected, looking at the debugger. However, when it is done
any update is automatically checked. It is not possible to forget to check
an old functionality when the code affecting that changes.

In my opinion documentation maintenance should be as automatized as
testing. Generally: anything that can be automatized in software
development has to be automatized to save effort and to reduce the errors.

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 11:34 AM Paul King <pa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Response inline
>
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 11:55 PM Peter Verhas <pe...@verhas.com> wrote:
> >
> > [....snip...]
> > Paul King
> >
> > >You can stop using the JavadocAssertionTestSuite at any time.
> > >The code will still be in the Javadoc as documentation but just won't
> > >be tested any more as part of your test suite.
> >
> > This is the same for Java::Geci. The difference is that Java::Geci works
> > the other way around. It fetches code from the unit test (or for that
> > matter from just any text file which contains snippets) and puts it into
> > the JavaDoc (or for that matter into any text file that contains a
> > segment). In this sense Java::Geci is more general, not a unit test
> > specific tool. It is a tool to copy -- alter -- paste text snippets
> between
> > files.
>
> Good to know, Geci certainly sounds interesting.
>
> Yes, we do it the other way around too for all of our asciidoc guides
> but for what we need there's a built-in feature of asciidoc.
>
> Cheers, Paul.

Peter Verhas
peter@verhas.com
t: +41791542095