Posted to dev@diversity.apache.org by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org> on 2019/11/06 03:49:15 UTC

First draft of friction log template

Hi all,

Laura and I chatted on Slack about the friction log and we decided that the
template from Tensorflow is about right.

I tried to create a fresh document for ASF that captures the same idea.
Here is the first draft: https://s.apache.org/friction-log. That link gives
comment access, but I am happy to give edit access, just request it.

We had some other ideas about how to make this useful:

   - mentor should write friction log on behalf of the intern (intern could
   also write their own)

As I was making the document I had some new questions:

   - should mentors also write friction logs for themselves? (I think yes)
   - do we expect many logs per internship, for different tasks?
   - would a longer term "journal" be a good idea, like a friction log of
   the entire internship? (might be easier for an intern to keep up with this
   habit, not having to create a bunch of separate docs)
   - should we (diversity@apache) take an active monitoring role so we see
   some of what happens on Jira, code review, and mailing lists? (is this just
   way too much?)

Kenn

Re: First draft of friction log template

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for clarifying. I like the idea.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: First draft of friction log template

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Laura Zanella <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi folks,

-	I think it would be a very good idea to interview the Outreachy interns to have a better overview of the necessary fields of the friction log template and to perform any updating if required.

-	Also, I think having an open space could be very useful in order to, as Kation mentioned, include steps, information or notes that weren’t taken into account in the template.

-	The idea of having one single document having the option of “not applicable” if it’s the case seems more efficient to me, being able to have better control.

Thank you,
Laura

Posted by Katia Rojas <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi folks,