Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by wh...@aol.com on 2010/08/13 03:45:52 UTC

can't upgrade from .10 to .11

How do I upgrade from .10 to .11.
Ubuntu makes it easy to install the first one
I just did
sudo aptitude install couchdb as per the definitive guide

but to upgrade to 1.0 or .11 I downloaded first the 64 bit .bin file on couchio
when I double click it doesn't recognize the file so that didn't work.
going to the couchdb mirror gives me this file

apache-couchdb-o.11.1 and inside are a million files. I don't know what to do to install this.

So ...
help

Thanks,
Dan

Re: can't upgrade from .10 to .11

Posted by wh...@aol.com.
 Okay I installed it. Couchdb 1.0 now exists in the user/home folder
but how do I start it.
And how does this version work with my existing databases in the other version
which is stored somewhere else

Thanks

Dan

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
On Aug 13, 2010, at 12:00 PM, whimsica@aol.com wrote:

> I can install 1.0 from a package .bin but it tries to install in myname/home.

it's ok to install there if you are just testing / learning. when you get to install for production you can take the next step.

also, if you want to avoid dealing with any of this, you can get a free hosted couch also at that URL http://couch.io/get

> Then what would that mean?
> Plus 1.0 has problems anyway right?

that package has the configuration set so you won't have the 1.0 bug.

> So where would I find good instructions for source install on ubuntu. I hear that it is very difficult and I've seen
> multiple procedures all over the web with multiple caveats. Could you direct me to
> what I need?
>
> I don't know what a symlink is so I would need to read up on that too.
> I've only been using linux for about a week.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

I got that to work by changing some x thing. But then it was going to install in myusername/home
so I wasn't sure what the implications of that would be so I didn't install it.
It sounded like I would have had two versions of couch running.

Should I try that?
Also what about the 1.0 bug?

Which way should I proceed?

Thanks,
Dan

On Aug 13, 2010, at 11:53 AM, Randall Leeds wrote:

> The easiest way to upgrade on Ubuntu is to follow the source install

> procedure and leave the system-wide couchdb intact.

> The system couchdb will not clash because the source install goes to

> /usr/local by default.

> Then just replace the /etc/init.d/couchdb with a symlink to

> /usr/loca/etc/init.d/couchdb and it will start you new version of

> couch.

There is also an ubuntu installer here which will not disturb the system

CouchDB.

http://www.couch.io/get

Was it you who mentioned it not working with double-click? I'm not sure (don't

have an ubuntu handy) but I bet you run it from the terminal it will work.

Chris

Re: can't upgrade from .10 to .11

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.

Re: can't upgrade from .10 to .11

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: can't upgrade from .10 to .11

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Please hop onto IRC.

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=couchdb

I get the impression this is going to take a lot of emails to work through.

On 13 Aug 2010, at 18:24, whimsica@aol.com wrote:

> I followed your instructions the apt-get upgrade couchdb
> after updating
> and starting couchdb I still get Futon on Apache CouchDB    0.10.0 in the lower right corner when going to
> localhost:5984/_utils
>

> curl http://127.0.0.1:5984/
> gives back
> couchdb welcome version .0.10.0
>
> So what do I try next.
> Do I have to restart the computer?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

no processes are running, but it still doesn't work.

I installed couchio version 1.0 in home/couchdb but I don't know how to start it up.
arrrghhh. I've spent all day on this and still gotten nowhere.
If I install it from the source would that work. Instructions?

Thanks,
Dan

> I followed your instructions the apt-get upgrade couchdb

> after updating

> and starting couchdb I still get Futon on Apache CouchDB    0.10.0 in the

lower right corner when going to

> localhost:5984/_utils

> curl http://127.0.0.1:5984/

> gives back

> couchdb welcome version .0.10.0

> So what do I try next.

> Do I have to restart the computer?

I'd recommend stopping couchdb and using `ps` to see if there are any couchdb

processes still running. If there are, then kill them (including the heart

process) or restart the box, and see if you still have this problem.

Context: I/we/Debian patched the init file in release 0.10.1-2, adding a

configurable grace period so that couchdb could stop before the init script

ended (it also added harsher stop instructions to make sure couchdb was really,

REALLY stopped). This was manifesting as a problem when you would uninstall or

upgrade the package - ex., old code from the previous version would still be

running in a process. You would have this patch since, as Noah said, Ubuntu

still pulls couchdb from Debian. But you might be having problems with the

patch.

Cheers,

--

Sam Bisbee

www.sbisbee.com

Re: can't upgrade from .10 to .11

Posted by Sam Bisbee <sa...@sbisbee.com>.

Re: can't upgrade from .10 to .11

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
If you are on Ubuntu, you should run:

	apt-get update

Then run:

	apt-get upgrade couchdb

That should upgrade it to the latest version for you.

You should be able to find documentation if you view this file:

	/usr/share/doc/couchdb

Most notably, the Debian package I built that I believe Ubuntu may still mirror from, versions the data directories so that a new install of CouchDB will use its own database files, instead of overwriting your old ones.

If, however, you want to install from source, then you should check out the README files in the tarball you downloaded. Google around for tutorials on how to install CouchDB from source on Ubuntu. There are plenty, including the one I wrote for the CouchDB book! If you have any specific problems getting a source install to run, just post back to the mailing list. I would, however, recommend that you try to get a package working for now.