Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by "B.K. DeLong" <bk...@pobox.com> on 2004/02/20 15:07:17 UTC

Lenya and virtual hosting

Hi all -

I am working on a virtual web hosting setup that will include MovableType
for blogs, EZBoard for forums and I wans wondering if Lenya can be
integrated into a virtual hosting environment. Do I need to create a Lenya
install for each virtual server? Or is there a way to create multiple sites
accessible via various methods of access control (based on who owns them)?

Thanks in advance.

--
B.K. DeLong
bkdelong@pobox.com

http://ocw.mit.edu                        Work.
http://www.brain-stream.com               Play.
http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org        Potter.
http://www.city-of-doors.com               Sigil.
http://www.hackerfoundation.org          Future.

PGP Fingerprint:
38D4 D4D4 5819 8667 DFD5  A62D AF61 15FF 297D 67FE

Re: Lenya and virtual hosting

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
B.K. DeLong wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> I am working on a virtual web hosting setup that will include
> MovableType for blogs, EZBoard for forums and I wans wondering if
> Lenya can be integrated into a virtual hosting environment.

the probably most simple setup would be to use a standard Apache
webserver with mod_proxy and then connect the various "URL prefixes" to
the various  other servers.

For instance the OSCOM website is done this way: we have Midgard, Lenya,
static pages, etc. behind a standard Apache webserver. I hope that all
these "systems" will support introspection very soon, such that the
user/editor will have one interface (at least to get into the specific
system). I have implemented introspection into the Lenya blog publication.

> Do I need to create a Lenya install for each virtual server?

no, you can run all publications within one servlet container context,
which are
being called by the virtual servers within Apache for instance.

> Or is there a way to create multiple sites accessible via various
> methods of access control (based on who owns them)?

yes, with the Lenya access control framework this is no problem

HTH

Michi

> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> B.K. DeLong
> bkdelong@pobox.com
> +1.617.797.2472
>
> http://ocw.mit.edu                        Work.
> http://www.brain-stream.com               Play.
> http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org        Potter.
> http://www.city-of-doors.com               Sigil.
> http://www.hackerfoundation.org          Future.
>
> PGP Fingerprint:
> 38D4 D4D4 5819 8667 DFD5  A62D AF61 15FF 297D 67FE

Michael Wechner