Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Jose Juan Montiel <jo...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/22 22:30:36 UTC

How much cost views over index?

Hi,

the extended/explained title is: how much cost/increase views (in terms of
cpu, memory, storage) over only index, in the life of database/application.

I know there are different things, for different targets, but i would like
to know how many things need to do the database, to keep its update with
new inserts.

Some people propose in https://jira.hyperledger.org/browse/FAB-5528 to
include views in the smartcontract, but the mantainers decide to dismiss.
Now is possible create index, to accelerate the queries, but not possible
to aggregate info directly with view queries.

The question its to know how much performance cold the blockchain loose if
views are created in couchdb.

Thanks for all.

--
This is your badness level.
It's unusually high for someone your size.

Re: How much cost views over index?

Posted by ermouth <er...@gmail.com>.
A mango index is, basically, a more or less standard view, defined using
special syntax. Mango index rules live in design docs and can be created
not only using POST db/_index endpoint, but also saving a syntactically
valid ddoc directly. Unlike most views, indices emit only keys, no values –
so doc parts are included into keys.

Since indices are views, they behave as views, at least as I observed
(never dug into Mango code). So unless you fetch an index using direct
/_view or indirect /_find, no indexing occurs. So – no background indexers
and no index update on upsert.

ermouth

пн, 23 сент. 2019 г. в 09:55, Jose Juan Montiel <josejuan.montiel@gmail.com

Posted by Jose Juan Montiel <jo...@gmail.com>.