Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Damian Birchler <Da...@bsiag.com> on 2012/08/28 08:46:54 UTC

search-time Field.setBoost()

Hello list

I'm looking for something like Field.setBoost(float boost) that can be set at search time. The reason for this is that we would like to provide user (client-side) configurable search queries, where the user can assign weights to the fields (all fields, not just those mentioned in the query) of matching documents which are then, for instance, multiplied with the *per-field score* (If such a thing exists) of each respective field. The closes thing I've come by is Field.setBoost(float boost) which, however, has to be set at the time of indexing. Term.setBoost(float boost) has the disadvantage that it directly influences the score of the whole document and that it can only be set on fields that are part of the query. I've also come across Weight, Score and friends but I don't know if that's the way to go and if it was, I would appreciate some advice, examples, tutorials, pointers etc.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Damian