Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Vijay Shanker <vs...@comframe.com> on 2006/04/14 22:55:34 UTC

Best approach to deploy in websphere app server

Hi Maven users,

Can anybody suggest the best approach to deploy maven built war and ear files in websphere application server?

Thanks,
Shanker

Re: Best approach to deploy in websphere app server

Posted by "David J. M. Karlsen" <da...@davidkarlsen.com>.
Wayne Fay wrote:
> David, this URL does not work for me either.
>
> When I go to just the root davidkarlsen.com page, it forwards me to
> /portal which is a JBoss portal 2.0 release candidate site. Looks like
> you're moving some stuff around...
>
> Wayne

Sorry - I ran into some trouble just before deploying it - I'll check it
out this evening and post back when it's OK.

Sorry for the inconvinience.

Dave

--
David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43
http://www.davidkarlsen.com

Re: Best approach to deploy in websphere app server

Posted by "David J. M. Karlsen" <da...@davidkarlsen.com>.
Wayne Fay wrote:
> David, this URL does not work for me either.
>
> When I go to just the root davidkarlsen.com page, it forwards me to
> /portal which is a JBoss portal 2.0 release candidate site. Looks like
> you're moving some stuff around...

That's the portal (which by the way will be changed - not very
comfortable with the JBoss portal) - anyway - now it's been fixed:

site: http://www.davidkarlsen.com/maven-was-plugin
repo: http://www.davidkarlsen.com/m2

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lee Meador <le...@leemeador.com>.
The problem I ran into with the ant tasks and Websphere 6.0 is that some of
the ant tasks only run with the special version of ant ws_ant.

(The endpoint enabler, which I use, will run with regular ant. I use it from
within maven 2 in an antrun task.)

The version 6 docs note that the ant tasks, while still present, are now
deprecated. I'm not sure what IBM is expecting to be done in this regard.

One, in particular, that requires ws_ant is the wsadmin ant task where you
pass it a jacl script. What I did was set up an external tool in eclipse to
run ws_ant.bat and pass it the jacl script to deploy. I'm not very happy
with it. I find it very difficult to find any information on such scripts.
If you undeploy an ear and it isn't deployed at this time, the script dies.
But if you try to deploy without undeploying it, the script dies. If the
last try didn't deploy right, I have to comment out the undeploy part of my
script and then remember to uncomment it when the ear deploys.

Earlier, in this news group, there was some discussion about using some
application supplied with websphere 6 (or maybe available on the IBM web
site) that can be loaded and pointed to a "magic" folder. When you drop an
ear into that folder, which isn't necessarly part of websphere or anything
else, it will get deployed. I haven't made use of that yet.

One thing I did figure out, based on searching around the web, is that
websphere 5 does not allow deploying from an ear that isn't on the same
machine as websphere. (Well ... it has to be available on the server's file
system.) What they ended up doing was ftping or scping the file onto the
server and then using wsadmin to deploy it from there. Somehow websphere 6
doesn't have this restriction but I don't need that capability and haven't
tried it.

Thanks.

-- Lee Meador

Sent from gmail. My real email address is lee@leemeador.com

Re: Best approach to deploy in websphere app server

Posted by "David J. M. Karlsen" <da...@davidkarlsen.com>.

Posted by Sanjay Choudhary <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Sanda <jo...@gmail.com>.
I work in a WebSphere shop, primarily WAS 5.0.x, but I have worked on
WAS 5.1.x some as well. I am new to Maven 2, and I do not know whether
or not there are any plugins to handle WebSphere deployments.
WebSphere come with a command line tool called Wsadmin, which provides
a scripting environment for all administrative tasks including
deployments. In version 5.0.x, the only language with which you can
write scripts in Jacl. I believe that Jython support has been added in
WAS 5.1. WebSphere also ships with a set of Ant tasks for deploying
and installing apps, starting/stopping the a server, etc. These Ant
tasks though, are just wrappers around Wsadmin scripts. If you are not
familiar with Wsadmin and JMX, the Ant tasks are a good place to start
in my opinion. You could use the antrun plugin to invoke the WAS ant
tasks from within your Maven build.

On 4/14/06, Vijay Shanker <vs...@comframe.com> wrote:
> Hi Maven users,
>
> Can anybody suggest the best approach to deploy maven built war and ear files in websphere application server?
>
> Thanks,
> Shanker

- John

Re: Best approach to deploy in websphere app server

Posted by "David J. M. Karlsen" <da...@davidkarlsen.com>.