Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> on 2005/08/09 20:00:42 UTC

Sandbox Project Proposal: Commons-Proxy...

Some of the code in my new "syringe" project deals specifically with
creating proxy objects (currently I support CGLIB and reflection-based
proxies).  It is generic enough to live on its own and useful enough that
others might be interested in it.  Does this sound like something that does
belong in the sandbox?

Re: Sandbox Project Proposal: Commons-Proxy...

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 8/9/05, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 14:00 -0400, James Carman wrote:
> > Some of the code in my new "syringe" project deals specifically with
> > creating proxy objects (currently I support CGLIB and reflection-based
> > proxies).  It is generic enough to live on its own and useful enough that
> > others might be interested in it.  Does this sound like something that does
> > belong in the sandbox?
>
> sounds like a useful component.

This seems like the most important part :) You're a committer James,
so I'd say go for it.

> one of the general issues with small and almost complete sandbox
> components is that it's hard to build a community when there's not much
> to be done. would need a period of concentrated effort together with
> some support from existing committers to be able to promote it. (but
> don't let this put you off...)

Yup. In fact being 'complete' seems to be a problem with the general
ASF concepts. Complete codebases will never develop a large
development community, but the ASF can help them generate a large user
community.  Is this good/bad etc.

Hen

Re: Sandbox Project Proposal: Commons-Proxy...

Posted by Joerg Hohwiller <jo...@j-hohwiller.de>.

Re: Sandbox Project Proposal: Commons-Proxy...

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 14:00 -0400, James Carman wrote:
> Some of the code in my new "syringe" project deals specifically with
> creating proxy objects (currently I support CGLIB and reflection-based
> proxies).  It is generic enough to live on its own and useful enough that
> others might be interested in it.  Does this sound like something that does
> belong in the sandbox?

sounds like a useful component.

one of the general issues with small and almost complete sandbox
components is that it's hard to build a community when there's not much
to be done. would need a period of concentrated effort together with
some support from existing committers to be able to promote it. (but
don't let this put you off...)

- robert

Re: Sandbox Project Proposal: Commons-Proxy...

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Does anyone have any more feedback on this proposal (if we can consider this
an "official" proposal)?

Posted by Joerg Hohwiller <jo...@j-hohwiller.de>.

Re: Sandbox Project Proposal: Commons-Proxy...

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Does it have to be called commons-proxy? I thought it was something to
do with http when I read the subject :)

- Brett