Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Yoryos <va...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/21 16:23:23 UTC

Installation of couchdb on windows xp

Hi all,
I'm trying to install Couchdb on my windows machine. Right now I'm just
exploring the possibilities of the db and as a newbie I followed the
instructions found at the wiki page (
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Installing_on_Windows).

First of all I should ask some questions. As I've seen in the lib folder of
the elrlang all the libraries (or at least most of them) have their compiled
files (.beam) at their ebin subdirectory. So why we are putting the
line {'./couchdb/*',
[{outdir,"../bin"}]}. at the Emakefile before compiling couchdb?

Anyway (I tried both ebin and bin as the output directory) but when I try a
couch_server:start(). the first time I got a function not found exception.
Adding the path to the erlang vm (using code:add_patha) was the solution but
then again I had the error the the couch.ini couldn't be found. Here I have
to mention that when I compiled couchdb having the ebin as the output folder
I didn't have to call code:add_path("path"). before calling
couch_server:start().

Now calling the couch_server:start(). function when I'm at the folder where
the couch.ini file exists I get the following message:

Apache CouchDB 0.0.0 (LogLevel=info)
> Apache CouchDB is starting.
>
> Apache CouchDB has started. Time to relax.

althought the version I've downloaded is 0.8.1 but futon seems to work just
fine until I tried to run the tests when most of them faild.

Any hints about what is going on here? The version of erlang I'm using is
5.6.5

Thank you in advance!
Yoryos

Re: Fwd: Installation of couchdb on windows xp

Posted by Mark Gallop <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yoryos wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>
>> I mentioned Firefox 3 as I believe it is the only browser tested with the
>> Futon interface. Maybe you could try the code from trunk(??)
>>
>> I am using CouchDB with no problems on ubuntu. Can you use a unix like OS,
>> or cygwin, just for testing and then move to Windows properly when working
>> builds are available?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
>>

> The problem is that I don't have a linux box for testing but as this is the
> only alternative I must look for one!
>
> Thanks anyway!
> Yoryos

Yoryos,

You can also try the free VMware Player [1] with one of the many free
VMware Linux appliances such as Ubuntu 8.10 [2].

This way you can continue working with your own Windows machine. I have
a similar setup with a Mac and VMware, and it works fine for testing.

Cheers,
Mark

[1] http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
[2] http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/54735

Re: Fwd: Installation of couchdb on windows xp

Posted by Yoryos <va...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Gallop <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yoryos <va...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Gallop <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yoryos,

Posted by Yoryos <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi again!

Is the issue I'm describing something that hasn't to do with couchdb in
order to try my luck to some erlang mailing list or is it a realy strange
problem that nobody have seen it before?
At least does anyone have a clue on where I should start looking? As I can
understand it may have not to do with couchdb but with erlang but as I'm a
newbie to both I don't have a starting point!

Kind regards
Yoryos