Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Vik Tara <vi...@propco.co.uk> on 2009/07/03 12:53:36 UTC

Re: Blog Module

Hi All,

Have spent a bit more time looking at roller - it's very good!!

In my view a lenya integration would have to accommodate:

1. Authentication

Roller uses acegi for security. I have read some posts on the cocoon
mailing list that suggest a method for getting acegi working with cocoon.

Essentially I am suggesting we would need to produce an additional
module that allows lenya users to authenticate using acegi.

2. Viewing / Editing / Publishing

It would make sense to add additional screens to the CMS area that allow
for these features.

I have taken a look at abdera and it looks promising. By creating a few
actions we can publish content to roller using ATOM.

Suggestions for the logic / flow of these screens would be helpful!

3. Styling

Roller uses it's own theme/template mechanism - so we would need to
think of how the module could create a template based on the users lenya
 styling.

All comments appreciated!

Regards

Vik

Re: Blog Module

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Vik,

Vik Tara schrieb:
>> On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 11:53:36 +0100, Vik Tara <vi...@propco.co.uk> wrote:
>> [[...]]
>>> 2. Viewing / Editing / Publishing
>>>
>>> It would make sense to add additional screens to the CMS area that allow
>>> for these features.
>>>
>>> I have taken a look at abdera and it looks promising. By creating a few
>>> actions we can publish content to roller using ATOM.
>>>
>>> Suggestions for the logic / flow of these screens would be helpful!
>> How do you imagine the end user usecase ? :
>>
>> - Post is editing in Lenya
>> - validation put post's content in Roller (but user don't see anything
>> about that)
>> - post reading is done via Lenya
>>
>> In fact, for user, blog posting on roller is like posting on Lenya, nothing
>> show him that's on roller. That is ?
>
> Yes - we would only need to show the user the actual blog post from
> roller. My view was that the lenya module would install roller in
> somewhere in the publications file system and access it from there if we
> needed to display pages.

would it be easy to accomplish this? Otherwise I'd just let the user
install Roller and just configure the URI in the Lenya application (see
my other mail for some thoughts).

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: Blog Module

Posted by Vik Tara <vi...@propco.co.uk>.
Hi Florent,

Florent André wrote:
> Hi, thanks for this mail,
>
> I have some questions / comment :
>
> On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 11:53:36 +0100, Vik Tara <vi...@propco.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
> [[...]]
>> 2. Viewing / Editing / Publishing
>>
>> It would make sense to add additional screens to the CMS area that allow
>> for these features.
>>
>> I have taken a look at abdera and it looks promising. By creating a few
>> actions we can publish content to roller using ATOM.
>>
>> Suggestions for the logic / flow of these screens would be helpful!
>
> How do you imagine the end user usecase ? :
>
> - Post is editing in Lenya
> - validation put post's content in Roller (but user don't see anything
> about that)
> - post reading is done via Lenya
>
> In fact, for user, blog posting on roller is like posting on Lenya, nothing
> show him that's on roller. That is ?

Yes - we would only need to show the user the actual blog post from
roller. My view was that the lenya module would install roller in
somewhere in the publications file system and access it from there if we
needed to display pages.

> And how is the process for people who post comment ?

They would post the comment directly on to the blog page - which would
be handled by roller.

>> 3. Styling
>>
>> Roller uses it's own theme/template mechanism - so we would need to
>> think of how the module could create a template based on the users lenya
>>  styling.
>
> Can you send a pointer where the Roller template mechanism is explain ? (if
> you have that in your bag)

Here you go:
http://mirror.public-internet.co.uk/ftp/apache/roller/roller-4/v4.0.1/docs/roller-template-guide.pdf

> 4. Content repository
>
> How Roller stock the content ? Like Lenya (uuid, visioning, ...) or on
> another way ?

I have not figured that bit yet! It does need a database however (Apache
Derby?)

Does anyone have any reservations about the module having to install a
database?

> Do you think it will be possible to transform blog post into Lenya document
> or publish a Lenya document into blog's post ?

For sure - I think that's how this will all work.

You create content in lenya, through a pipeline we post it to roller
using actions / abdera client.

Keep the comments coming!

Vik

Re: Blog Module

Posted by Florent André <fl...@4sengines.com>.
Hi, thanks for this mail,

I have some questions / comment :

On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 11:53:36 +0100, Vik Tara <vi...@propco.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi All,

[[...]]

> 2. Viewing / Editing / Publishing
>
> It would make sense to add additional screens to the CMS area that allow
> for these features.
>
> I have taken a look at abdera and it looks promising. By creating a few
> actions we can publish content to roller using ATOM.
>
> Suggestions for the logic / flow of these screens would be helpful!

How do you imagine the end user usecase ? :

- Post is editing in Lenya
- validation put post's content in Roller (but user don't see anything
about that)
- post reading is done via Lenya

In fact, for user, blog posting on roller is like posting on Lenya, nothing
show him that's on roller. That is ?

And how is the process for people who post comment ?

> 3. Styling
>
> Roller uses it's own theme/template mechanism - so we would need to
> think of how the module could create a template based on the users lenya
>  styling.

Can you send a pointer where the Roller template mechanism is explain ? (if
you have that in your bag)

4. Content repository

How Roller stock the content ? Like Lenya (uuid, visioning, ...) or on
another way ?

Do you think it will be possible to transform blog post into Lenya document
or publish a Lenya document into blog's post ?

Looking forward to see this cool module !

Re: Blog Module

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.uzh.ch>.
Hi Vik
> Have spent a bit more time looking at roller - it's very good!!
>
> In my view a lenya integration would have to accommodate:
>
> 1. Authentication
>
> Roller uses acegi for security. I have read some posts on the cocoon
> mailing list that suggest a method for getting acegi working with cocoon.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this?

Not really but  I did look at it during the work on the shibboleth
implementation.  It looked very promising to me!
However to integrate it into lenya is probably not that easy.
BTW acegi security project is becoming Spring Security. See:

http://www.acegisecurity.org/
> Essentially I am suggesting we would need to produce an additional
> module that allows lenya users to authenticate using acegi.

That would be really nice!

> 2. Viewing / Editing / Publishing
>
> It would make sense to add additional screens to the CMS area that allow
> for these features.
>
> I have taken a look at abdera and it looks promising. By creating a few
> actions we can publish content to roller using ATOM.
>
> Suggestions for the logic / flow of these screens would be helpful!
>
> 3. Styling
>
> Roller uses it's own theme/template mechanism - so we would need to
> think of how the module could create a template based on the users lenya
>  styling.
>
> All comments appreciated!

Jann

Re: Blog Module

Posted by Vik Tara <vi...@propco.co.uk>.
Hi Andreas,

Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Andreas Hartmann schrieb:
>> Hi Vik,
>>
>> Vik Tara schrieb:
>>> Have spent a bit more time looking at roller - it's very good!!
>>>
>>> In my view a lenya integration would have to accommodate:
>>
>> […]
>>
>>> 3. Styling
>>>
>>> Roller uses it's own theme/template mechanism - so we would need to
>>> think of how the module could create a template based on the users lenya
>>>  styling.
>>
>> … or we just pull the RSS/Atom and feed it into a pipeline. The
>> pipeline + XSLT would be reusable for other feeds.

Your on the button as usual - that's a much neater solution than mine -
i'll go with your idea!

>> BTW, would it make sense to allow "mounting" a module at a particular
>> URL? E.g.
>>
>>   /mypub/authoring/blog/** -> /modules/roller/{1}
>>
>> Of course that can be done in the publication sitemap, but maybe we
>> can provide a more generic mechanism?

+1

>> In this context: How do we tell the roller module which Roller
>> application it shall access? Maybe we could use some kind of generic
>> "module configuration document" which is used to mount a module at a
>> particular URL:
>
> I guess this wasn't entirely clear: The "module configuation document"
> would be a document in the Lenya content repository. It could be edited
> using the source editor, Firedocs etc.
>
> -- Andreas
>

>>   /mypub/authoring/blog.xml
>>
>>   <?xml version="1.0"?>
>>   <module id="org.apache.lenya.modules.roller">
>>     <param name="blogUri" value="http://localhost:8080/roller/myblog"/>
>>   </module>
>>

>> In the easiest case, this could generate an Include statement:
>>
>>   <i:include src="cocoon://modules/roller/?blogUri=…"/>
>>
>> To support multiple-page apps, we could maybe generate Include
>> statements for "virtual" child documents (which don't exist in the
>> site structure), using the same params as the module base document:
>>
>>   <i:include src="cocoon://modules/roller/post123.html?blogUri=…"/>

I was thinking of this slightly differently - ie the module would
install roller as part of the build (using ANT) - so the module would be
'aware' of the install.

I see how that could be problematic however - I think your solution
proposes that we hook to an already installed roller?

Re: Blog Module

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO