Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Foster, Richard - PAL" <RF...@quixotecorp.com> on 2005/03/28 15:09:28 UTC

Ignore scenario - guidance appreciated.

Greetings all,

I have looked through the archives for this mailing list, and I am still
confused about how (or if) certain files in my source repository should
be handled.

The scenario is as follows:

*	We run a continuous integration process. Changes in the source
code (as reported by Subversion) trigger the build.
*	The build script (among other things) updates AssemblyInfo.cs
files. (Yup, it's a C# / .NET project).
*	If the AssemblyInfo.cs files are not in the repository, then it
is not possible for a developer with *just* Visual Studio and Subversion
to get the source and build the project.
*	If the AssemblyInfo.cs files are in the repository, then a
developer running the build script runs the risk of checking in an
updated file. This could cause a problem since it may result in a file
built on a developers machine appear to have been built as part of a
release build, or the continuous integration process (the build machine
is, alas, occasionally used by visiting engineers as a development
machine).

What is the recommended way of dealing with this scenario? Ideally, I
would like to be able to have the AssemblyInfo.cs files in the
repository, but not have Subversion complain or update them if they are
different on a developer's machine (unless explicitly asked to do so).

Re: Ignore scenario - guidance appreciated.

Posted by William Nagel <bi...@stagelogic.com>.

You're correct that there's not really a good way to automatically do
what you want.

One potential workaround is to check-in the AssemblyInfo.cs files to a
"template" directory, and then have each developer run a script that
would copy the files into the proper working directory, that way the
AssemblyInfo.cs file that was actually used would be unversioned (and
svn:ignore properties could be set up to ignore it), but the pristine
AssemblyInfo.cs file would be versioned in a place where changes
wouldn't accidentally be committed.  Of course, if the AssemblyInfo.cs
file changes frequently, this might be an error-prone solution, but if
changes are infrequent it could be workable.

- -Bill