Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Gr...@servicecanada.gc.ca on 2006/10/11 19:10:31 UTC

Exceptions & Email

Hey guys.

I'm approaching a deployment of my Tap4.0 app in production.

Whenever an exception occurs, I'd like to have an email get sent to me with the information of the exception rather then relying on people sending them to me.

Has anyone gone about doing this? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Greg

Re: Exceptions & Email

Posted by andyhot <an...@di.uoa.gr>.
I think I would consider the email capabilities of logging libraries.
In log4j you can have this support with 3-4 lines in your configuration file

Greg.L.Cormier@servicecanada.gc.ca wrote:
> Hey guys.
>
> I'm approaching a deployment of my Tap4.0 app in production.
>
> Whenever an exception occurs, I'd like to have an email get sent to me with the information of the exception rather then relying on people sending them to me.
>
> Has anyone gone about doing this? Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://andyhot.di.uoa.gr
Tapestry / Tacos developer
Open Source / J2EE Consulting

Re: Exceptions & Email

Posted by Martin Strand <ma...@entcap.se>.
I haven't tried but perhaps you can simply use an SMTP appender for the
ExceptionReporter?

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 19:57:00 +0200, Robert Zeigler <ro...@scazdl.org>
wrote:

> I can think of a couple of different approaches.
> I'm doing this now in tap3 using a custom IMonitor implementation (tap3
> calls the IMonitor's serviceException(Throwable exception) method when
> it encounters an exception, before it loads the error page).  But,
> IMonitor is, apparently, deprecated in Tap4. I'm not sure what the
> corresponding solution is there. Another approach would be to create a
> custom error page. If you add the "setException" method to your page,
> tapestry will set it for you; you could then send the e-mail from there.
> I'm sure there's some nifty hivemind way of doing this, as well (I'm
> assuming there's some combination of hivemind magic that will let you
> recapture some or all of the functionality of IMonitor), but someone
> else will have to fill in the details there. :)
>
> Robert
>
> Greg.L.Cormier@servicecanada.gc.ca wrote:
>
>> Hey guys.
>>
>> I'm approaching a deployment of my Tap4.0 app in production.
>>
>> Whenever an exception occurs, I'd like to have an email get sent to me
>> with the information of the exception rather then relying on people
>> sending them to me.
>>
>> Has anyone gone about doing this? Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Greg

RE: Exceptions & Email

Posted by Gr...@servicecanada.gc.ca.
Thanks for the prompt Reply robert.

I'm putting in the code to send off an email inside the renderComponent() body. This should work well each time an exception is displayed. I figure why not keep it simple rather then worry about hivemind services?

Greg

Re: Exceptions & Email

Posted by Robert Zeigler <ro...@scazdl.org>.