Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Ryan Moquin <fr...@gmail.com> on 2018/12/05 22:30:05 UTC

Re: Startup timing Windows vs. Mac

Honestly, despite being a windows user, file fileio on linux/unix based
machines is always MUCH faster than windows.

Ryan

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018, 11:56 AM David Jencks <david.a.jencks@gmail.com wrote:

> A possible reason could be lots of DS services with greedy optional static
> dependencies started in different orders on the two OSs. If a service with
> such a reference is started first, it will get restarted every time a
> target service for the reference is started.
>
> David Jencks
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Nov 21, 2018, at 6:59 AM, Leschke, Scott <SL...@medline.com> wrote:
>
> It still begs the question as to why you saw such a difference in times
> between Windows and Mac.

Posted by ch...@kiffer.ltd.uk.
Seconded.

When working in a mixed windows/linux environment, I've seen refactorings
which meant moving files between directories (e.g. move a package into a
different bundle under bndtools) take seconds on linux vs. *minutes* on
windows. If you have a lot of bundles, even the creation and population of
the fwdir could take significantly longer.