Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2018/10/03 19:49:45 UTC

[SECURITY] CVE-2018-11784 Apache Tomcat - Open Redirect

CVE-2018-11784 Apache Tomcat - Open Redirect

Severity: Moderate

Vendor: The Apache Software Foundation

Versions Affected:
Apache Tomcat 9.0.0.M1 to 9.0.11
Apache Tomcat 8.5.0 to 8.5.33
Apache Tomcat 7.0.23 to 7.0.90
The unsupported 8.0.x release line has not been analysed but is likely
to be affected.

When the default servlet returned a redirect to a directory (e.g.
redirecting to '/foo/' when the user requested '/foo') a specially
crafted URL could be used to cause the redirect to be generated to any
URI of the attackers choice.

Mitigation:
Users of the affected versions should apply one of the following
mitigations:
- Upgrade to Apache Tomcat 9.0.12 or later.
- Upgrade to Apache Tomcat 8.5.34 or later.
- Upgrade to Apache Tomcat 7.0.91 or later.
- Use mapperDirectoryRedirectEnabled="true" and
  mapperContextRootRedirectEnabled="true" on the Context to ensure that
  redirects are issued by the Mapper rather than the default Servlet.
  See the Context configuration documentation for further important
  details.

Credit:
This vulnerability was found by Sergey Bobrov and reported responsibly
to the Apache Tomcat Security Team.

History:
2018-10-03 Original advisory

[2] http://tomcat.apache.org/security-8.html
[3] http://tomcat.apache.org/security-7.html

Re: [SECURITY] CVE-2018-11784 Apache Tomcat - Open Redirect

Posted by Alex O'Ree <al...@apache.org>.
Roger that,  thanks

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by Alex O'Ree <al...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: [SECURITY] CVE-2018-11784 Apache Tomcat - Open Redirect

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 08/10/18 21:55, Michael Yoder wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 12:50 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>> CVE-2018-11784 Apache Tomcat - Open Redirect
>
> Is it possible to get more information on the "specially crafted URL"?
>  I'd like more information so that I can test if some of our apps are
> vulnerable.

Generally, there is a balance to strike here between making it easy for
the less technically competent attackers to construct an attack and
making it easy for end users to figure out if they are vulnerable. The
way we typically do this is by describing the conditions necessary for
an attack to be possible as completely as possible but not providing
details of how to perform an attack.

We also provide references to the commit that fixed the issue. For
someone with the right skills, there is usually enough information in
the description and the commit for a successful attack to be reverse
engineered.

> In addition, I'd like to verify that the value of
> mapperContextRootRedirectEnabled defaults to "true",

For the latest release of each supported Tomcat version, that is
correct. Historically, that is version dependent. Check the docs for the
version you are using.

> so if we don't
> alter that value we aren't susceptible?

Incorrect. As per the announcement both mapperDirectoryRedirectEnabled
and mapperContextRootRedirectEnabled need to be true to avoid this
vulnerability if you are not using a fixed version.

The default for mapperDirectoryRedirectEnabled is false.

Mark

Re: [SECURITY] CVE-2018-11784 Apache Tomcat - Open Redirect

Posted by Michael Yoder <my...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 12:50 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> CVE-2018-11784 Apache Tomcat - Open Redirect

Is it possible to get more information on the "specially crafted URL"?
 I'd like more information so that I can test if some of our apps are
vulnerable.

In addition, I'd like to verify that the value of
mapperContextRootRedirectEnabled defaults to "true", so if we don't
alter that value we aren't susceptible?

Thanks and regards,
-Mike Yoder
Cloudera, Inc.