Posted to dev@streampipes.apache.org by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de> on 2020/05/29 08:50:18 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Add better PLC4X-API support for Input Dialogs

Hi folks,

this is an old Issue (see https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/PLC4X/API+Extension+for+1.0).
What I generally would like to have is a way to communicate with the API / the Driver without needing a Connection to e.g. „talk“ about the address input and probably also the connection parameters.

To give you an example, consider I want to have a mask where users could enter their url and address.
It would be nice to get all available protocols

Map<String, Driver> map = driverManager.getAllRegisteredProtocols()

to show it in a drop down.
When user selects one I could generate a form to enter all connection parameters

driver.getConnectionParameters();

And then, when he wants to enter a Field Address I could go on like that and could do many things already with the Driver without hte need to have a Conneciton in Place already. Like:

driver.validate(„%DB.asdf“) <-- fails
driver.getValidatingRegex() <-- Could be used in my forms

or even get more detailed information, like an abstract address specification that I could use to build a form.
For S7 this could for example be

List<AddressPart> driver.getAddressParts()

which could be something like

MemoryPart <- Enum-Like „DB, Q, I, ...“ and so on.

Tob e clear: I ONLY want to extend the current API and not change anything setup. So all APIs would stay in Place as is but this would help people who allow their users to input PLC4X Informations like we do or e.g. Streampipes (thus, added as CC here).

WDYT?

Julian

Re: [PROPOSAL] Add better PLC4X-API support for Input Dialogs

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.
 I thought it would have already done that

On May 29, 2020 at 05:13:12, Christofer Dutz (christofer.dutz@c-ware.de)
wrote:

I fully agree that we need such a thing.

Chris

Posted by "Robinet, Etienne" <43...@etu.he2b.be>.
Hi Julian,
+1 on that one for sure.

Etienne

Posted by Lukas Ott <ot...@gmail.com>.
+1 for that .

Like you wrote on Slack "So I would like to have it in the “normal” API
-Then anyone could build its wizards on top of that"
As most of the proprietary have some kind of wizard or configuration
front-end Apache PLC4X should have an API for that.

Posted by Sebastian Rühl <se...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
SGTM

Sebastian