Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr> on 2008/05/21 08:58:01 UTC

Serial Transport reintegration in TRUNK or not

Hi,

The serial transport module, a transport implementation, using serial
port (RS232) was moved to sandbox due to licences issues.

Here a simple resume : the serial transport use the RXTX, a
java serial communication lib. The problem is that RXTX is LGPL
licensed. You would may so ask "so what's the matter ?".

Well as our build is automated, when you try to build whole MINA trnuk,
it's pulling the needed libs in your local repository and will
automatically download the LGPL dependency. as far as I can understand
it's it's a problem for some users and ASF, for grabbing LGPL licensed
jar automatic fashion.

That why the serial transport was moved temporary to sandbox, well as
we say in France : the temporary is made for duration.. :) and the
situation is here for few month.

After discussing around with other commiters, here the possible two
solutions :

1# keep serial transport outside of MINA, make it a separate project due
to his LGPL dependency nature

2# or as suggested  by Emmanuel, make the building of serial transport
optional (passing some arguments to mvn during the building) so the
user can choose to build the LGPL depended or not module. apparently
some Apache projects already do that for javamail.

My preference go for 2# because it will be easier to maintain
up-to-date with MINA trunk, and even it's the audioence is small, it's
making MINa the only Java netroking lib with easy serial comm :)

WDYT ?

Julien

Re: Serial Transport reintegration in TRUNK or not

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.
On Wed, 21 May 2008 09:50:18 +0200
"Maarten Bosteels" <mb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Julien,
>
> I'd prefer solution #2 but I could also live with #1
>
> regards
> Maarten

Hi,

Due to general enthusiasm, I did #2 :D

for build serial transport do "mvn -Dwith-LGPL-dependecies install".

Posted by Maarten Bosteels <mb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Julien,

I'd prefer solution #2 but I could also live with #1

regards
Maarten