Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by fz...@omnytex.com on 2004/12/23 17:56:20 UTC

Any comment on the SessionUtils ting I submitted?

Just checking... I know it's the holidays and all, but it's been a couple of days and no one posted any comment (unless I missed it).

Re: Any comment on the SessionUtils ting I submitted?

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Yep, I had a feeling I must have missed something, whether it was in
Struts or not. :)

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.
I like the idea of having a class to do it.  Having Struts do it
automatically seems to me to be unwise.  I have a lot of things I want
to remain in sessions.  I would rather not have to not only manage my
own applications but also manage the framework in which the
application works.  If someone wants to use a class like this, it is
good to have it.

Jack

<fz...@omnytex.com> wrote:
> You know, I hesitate to say this because I'm not sure (a) I didn't miss
> something and it already exists and (b) that it's a good idea in the
> first place, but...
>
> Dumping all request/session parameters/attributes seems like something
> that might make a good switch built-in to Struts... Maybe at the request
> processor level or in the Action class itself... You know, a simple
> boolean, false by default, that dumps everything when set to true.  That
> opens up questions of where to dump it to and how though, but a simple
> stdout dump (as my code does) might be sufficient since this would
> almost certainly just be for debugging purposes (although I actually use
> this function in production myself).
>
> What do you think?  I'd be more than happy to give up my code (not that
> everyone on this list couldn't write it in 30 seconds flat, but hey,
> I'll save ya the 30 seconds!)
>
> --
> Frank W. Zammetti
> Founder and Chief Software Architect
> Omnytex Technologies
> http://www.omnytex.com
>
> Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
> > Hey, good deal, glad it helped someone!
> >
> > I wasn't aware of that book either... Must go order it!
> >
> > On a related note... I have a bunch of debug-type functions like you it
> > sounds like... One of them, which I'd bet you have already, is just
> > dumping all request/session parameters and attributes.  I usually call
> > this at the start of each Action.  This comes is handy quite a bit.

------------------------------

~Dakota Jack~

~Native Proverb~

"This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based
on this message or any information herein. If you have received this

Re: Any comment on the SessionUtils ting I submitted?

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Thanks Martin, that does sound like a better fit.  I'll post out on the
commons list and offer it up.

Incidentally, your 100% right, it IS a rather expensive operation.
However, it's nice to have in a develpoment/debugging situation... I had
one app were some junior developers were putting entirely too much in
session, and it became an issue when we deployed to a distributed
environment (I forget all the details, something with how WebSphere
replicates sessions across nodes made it a bigger problem than it seemed
like it should have been).  This code came in handy then.

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.