Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2002/03/01 03:10:33 UTC

Re: Log file rotation... log sub system

dirkx@covalent.net wrote:

> Though I one 100% agree with the stance that a proper web server should..
> well.. serve pages - It sure would be nice if we could have a logging
> subsystem in apache 2.1 or higher which took care of some of the harder
> things for us module/appserver developers when bouncing around
> logging data.

In v2.0, mod_proxy, mod_cache, mod_ldap and mod_dav all support "sub"
modules beneath them to perform specific tasks (eg mod_disk_cache and
mod_mem_cache for mod_cache, etc).

Perhaps the logging module should be split up in the same way, with
mod_log handling the hooks, and mod_log_disk handling logging direct to
disk, mod_log_sql handling direct to database, etc.

Each logging submodule could allow "drop through" the way mod_cache does
- so if mod_log_sql cannot handle a log for any reason, through config
or through failure, it could drop through to mod_log_disk and not get
lost.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street
						tonight..."

RE: Log file rotation... log sub system

Posted by Sander van Zoest <sa...@vanzoest.com>.
On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Ryan Bloom wrote:

> > > dirkx@covalent.net wrote:
> > > Perhaps the logging module should be split up in the same way, with
> > > mod_log handling the hooks, and mod_log_disk handling logging direct
> > > disk, mod_log_sql handling direct to database, etc.
> > Wouldn't just making ap_log_error() ap_run_log_error() solve a lot of
> > these problems?
> ap_log_error_core already runs a hook to allow module to do more with
> the error log, so this is effectively already done.

Do we maybe want to document these? It seems that half the time someone
asks a question on how to do something, it can already be done, but
there is no real way to know this unless you stare at the code every
day.

--
Sander van Zoest                                          sander@vanzoest.com
San Diego, CA, US                                 http://Sander.vanZoest.com/

RE: Log file rotation... log sub system

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@covalent.net>.
> > dirkx@covalent.net wrote:
> >
> > > Though I one 100% agree with the stance that a proper web server
> should..
> > > well.. serve pages - It sure would be nice if we could have a
logging
> > > subsystem in apache 2.1 or higher which took care of some of the
> harder
> > > things for us module/appserver developers when bouncing around
> > > logging data.
> >
> > In v2.0, mod_proxy, mod_cache, mod_ldap and mod_dav all support
"sub"
> > modules beneath them to perform specific tasks (eg mod_disk_cache
and
> > mod_mem_cache for mod_cache, etc).
> >
> > Perhaps the logging module should be split up in the same way, with
> > mod_log handling the hooks, and mod_log_disk handling logging direct
> > disk, mod_log_sql handling direct to database, etc.
> >
> > Each logging submodule could allow "drop through" the way mod_cache
does
> > - so if mod_log_sql cannot handle a log for any reason, through
config
> > or through failure, it could drop through to mod_log_disk and not
get
> > lost.
>
> Wouldn't just making ap_log_error() ap_run_log_error() solve a lot of
> these problems?

ap_log_error_core already runs a hook to allow module to do more with
the error log, so this is effectively already done.

Ryan

Re: Log file rotation... log sub system

Posted by di...@covalent.net.
On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> Wouldn't just making ap_log_error() ap_run_log_error() solve a lot of
> these problems?

+1 - with perhaps something like an 'always pass through'. I.e. even if an
module provides an 'OK' it continues just as a 'DECLINE' so that certain
major failures can be detected reliable enough - and shared among
constituents. Otherwise one gets the 'log' the 'logger' problem.

Or it may be that there is _core_ config directive which singles out one
or more modules as 'allowed' to claim the log_error() stream with an OK -
but have this right normaly reserved to core.

Dw

Re: Log file rotation... log sub system

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.
> dirkx@covalent.net wrote:
>
> > Though I one 100% agree with the stance that a proper web server should..
> > well.. serve pages - It sure would be nice if we could have a logging
> > subsystem in apache 2.1 or higher which took care of some of the harder
> > things for us module/appserver developers when bouncing around
> > logging data.
>
> In v2.0, mod_proxy, mod_cache, mod_ldap and mod_dav all support "sub"
> modules beneath them to perform specific tasks (eg mod_disk_cache and
> mod_mem_cache for mod_cache, etc).
>
> Perhaps the logging module should be split up in the same way, with
> mod_log handling the hooks, and mod_log_disk handling logging direct to
> disk, mod_log_sql handling direct to database, etc.
>
> Each logging submodule could allow "drop through" the way mod_cache does
> - so if mod_log_sql cannot handle a log for any reason, through config
> or through failure, it could drop through to mod_log_disk and not get
> lost.

Wouldn't just making ap_log_error() ap_run_log_error() solve a lot of these problems?

Bill