Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com> on 2013/05/06 21:14:26 UTC

Questions on the Maven poms...

Hi all:

I'm going through the "project poms" that Dennis contributed in
preparation for spinning the 2.2.1 release to the Apache Maven
repository (and hence to Central), and I have a few questions...

Should the poms call out a parent pom that specifies the version and all
the licensing?  Right now they're independent.  There's actually an
official Apache parent pom available, but since we don't build using
Maven, I don't think we need to call out the Apache parent.

>From what I read on the rules for submission to Maven Central, we need
to provide javadoc- and source- jars for all the artifacts.  In the case
of River this works out a little funny because we generate many jars
(services and downloads) from the same codebase.  It appears that we'd
be fine with providing "fake" javadoc and source jars that contain a
README file that points to the real sources and javadocs.  Any feelings
about whether we need to do this, or should we?

The group-id is currently "net.jini" in the poms.  I don't know if INFRA
will give us grief over not using an "org.apache" group id (maybe
someone already asked them?).  Should these be "org.apache.river"?

Lastly, I'm fairly convinced that since the Maven artifacts will be
separate, signed release artifacts, that we will need to call a release
vote on those artifacts after staging them to Apache's Nexus
repository.  That doesn't mean they are "2.2.2", but we need to approve
the artifacts.  Does anyone feel otherwise?

Cheers,

Greg.

Re: Questions on the Maven poms...

Posted by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com>.
On May 14, 2013, at 253PM, Rafał Krupiński wrote:

> On 14.05.2013 20:30, Dennis Reedy wrote:
>>> I want to install River in my maven repo; the easiest way for me is to checkout the tag from svn and use your groovy script.
>>
>> We are trying to get this version of River deployed to central. If you can hold on a bit could save you some effort.  I just downloaded the release and ran install_river.groovy. There are
> 2 issues I just found in the script.
>
> [...]
>
>> HTH
>
> Did you mean deploy_river.groovy? I don't see install* anywhere.

Oops, my bad. I was looking at a local copy I had created for myself, I forgot to add it to the directory. I'll send it to you directly.

Dennis

Re: Questions on the Maven poms...

Posted by Rafał Krupiński <ra...@sorcersoft.com>.

--
Pozdrawiam
Rafał Krupiński

Re: Questions on the Maven poms...

Posted by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com>.
On May 14, 2013, at 216PM, Rafał Krupiński wrote:

> On 14.05.2013 20:01, Dennis Reedy wrote:

>>> Of course, Dennis. Why would I look anywhere else?
>>
>> It was a simple question, no reason to get snarky.
>
> You're right, sorry.
>
>>> I'll start using 2.2 branch. Thanks.
>>
>> Or head directly to the release
>>
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/river/river-2.2.1/
>
> I want to install River in my maven repo; the easiest way for me is to checkout the tag from svn and use your groovy script.

We are trying to get this version of River deployed to central. If you can hold on a bit could save you some effort. I just downloaded the release and ran install_river.groovy. There are 2 issues I just found in the script.

Line #4, change

String rootDir = "../.."

String rootDir = "../lib"

Line #33, change

"-DpomFile=poms/${aId}.pom"

"-DpomFile=${aId}.pom"

With those fixes you can deploy to your local repo

HTH

Dennis

Re: Questions on the Maven poms...

Posted by Rafał Krupiński <ra...@sorcersoft.com>.
On 14.05.2013 20:01, Dennis Reedy wrote:

> On May 14, 2013, at 650AM, Rafał Krupiński wrote:
>
>> On 13.05.2013 19:36, Dennis Reedy wrote:
>>> Rafal,
>>>
>>> I have not seen any source code in the 2.2 branch that uses the packages you are referring to. Are you looking at trunk?
>>
>> Of course, Dennis. Why would I look anywhere else?
>
> It was a simple question, no reason to get snarky.

You're right, sorry.

>> I'll start using 2.2 branch. Thanks.
>
> Or head directly to the release
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/river/river-2.2.1/

I want to install River in my maven repo; the easiest way for me is to
checkout the tag from svn and use your groovy script.

Regards.

--
Pozdrawiam
Rafał Krupiński

Re: Questions on the Maven poms...

Posted by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rafał Krupiński <ra...@sorcersoft.com>.

Posted by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com>.
Rafal,

Posted by Rafał Krupiński <ra...@sorcersoft.com>.
On 13.05.2013 20:02, Peter wrote:
> Thanks for the reminder I'll get it uploaded before River 2.3.0 is released.
>
> The library can be found at http://sourceforge.net/projects/custard-apple/?source=directory
>
> River 2.2.1, our most recent release, doesn't depend on the library.

Actually, I haven't found any imports other than org.apache.river,
net.jini or com.sun.jini in the 2.2 branch. dep-libs also disappeared
from the project. Does River currently depend on any external libraries?

Regards

--
Pozdrawiam
Rafał Krupiński

Re: Questions on the Maven poms...

Posted by Peter <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
Thanks for the reminder I'll get it uploaded before River 2.3.0 is released.

The library can be found at http://sourceforge.net/projects/custard-apple/?source=directory

River 2.2.1, our most recent release, doesn't depend on the library.

Regards,

Peter.

Posted by Rafał Krupiński <ra...@sorcersoft.com>.

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.
Thanks Dennis.  I'm going to have a go at it, starting from your script,
and if I hit a wall I'll give you a shout.

Cheers,

Greg.

Posted by Dennis Reedy <de...@gmail.com>.