Posted to mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com> on 2017/04/19 17:44:04 UTC

HADOOP-14316: Switching from Findbugs to Spotbugs

Hey gang.

	HADOOP-14316 enables the spotbugs back-end for the findbugs front-end.  Spotbugs (https://spotbugs.github.io/) is the fork of findbugs that the community and some of the major contributors have made to move findbugs forward.  It is geared towards JDK8 and JDK9.

	Before I commit, I wanted to give a heads up to the community about this change.

	After committal, there will be (approx) 62 new findbugs issues that will pop up in the source tree.  My quick pass over a handful of them indicates that a good number are legit/not false positives (and one of them, well, we got lucky it's an API that no one updates/uses). It will take the community to fix up those 62 problems, either by actually fixing them (better) or exempting them (not great, but sometimes required).

Thanks.

Re: HADOOP-14316: Switching from Findbugs to Spotbugs

Posted by Akira Ajisaka <aa...@apache.org>.
HADOOP-14336 is the umbrella jira to fix the newly found warnings.

Akira

Posted by Akira Ajisaka <aa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Akira Ajisaka <aa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Akira Ajisaka <aa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Wei-Chiu Chuang <we...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Allen,
That sounds scary. Would you mind to share the list of bugs that spotbugs found? Sounds like some of them may warrant new blockers jiras for Hadoop 3.

Thank you,
Wei-Chiu Chuang

Posted by Wei-Chiu Chuang <we...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Allen,