Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> on 2020/03/30 19:27:53 UTC

Azul and bundling of Apache NetBeans

Hi all,

I'm moving from Oracle to Azul, from April onwards.

I'll be responsible for open source projects and related team members at
Azul -- and, even better, Azul will be planning to bundle, among others,
NetBeans with Zulu. That's something we've been missing here in the Apache
NetBeans community -- a JDK vendor to bundle NetBeas with a JDK.

More details here:

https://blogs.oracle.com/geertjan/from-oracle-to-azul

Of course, aside from the above bundling of NetBeans with Zulu, this change
in where I work will have no impact on NetBeans -- no organization has
preferential treatment in Apache projects.

However, any JDK vendor is encouraged to do the same as Azul will be doing
-- turn their JDK into something usable by developers out of the box by
including the tools for using it.

More details re me and Oracle, Azul, etc:

https://blogs.oracle.com/geertjan/from-oracle-to-azul

Thanks,

Gj

Re: Azul and bundling of Apache NetBeans

Posted by Kai Uwe Pel <ka...@asia.com>.
Congratulations!!!
I am very happy... Apache Netbeans is still moving forward with you on the next higher level, and for our community!

Kai

Posted by Mark Phipps <ma...@sucfin.com>.
Good for you Geertjan, you and the team are all heroes. Good luck with the next chapter of your own career!

Cheers
Mark

https://blogs.oracle.com/geertjan/from-oracle-to-azul<https://blogs.oracle.com/geertjan/from-oracle-to-azul>

Of course, aside from the above bundling of NetBeans with Zulu, this change
in where I work will have no impact on NetBeans -- no organization has
preferential treatment in Apache projects.

However, any JDK vendor is encouraged to do the same as Azul will be doing
-- turn their JDK into something usable by developers out of the box by
including the tools for using it.

More details re me and Oracle, Azul, etc:

https://blogs.oracle.com/geertjan/from-oracle-to-azul<https://blogs.oracle.com/geertjan/from-oracle-to-azul>

Thanks,

Gj

www.sucdenfinancial.com

Sucden Financial Limited, Plantation Place South, 60 Great Tower Street, London EC3R 5AZ
Telephone +44 203 207 5000

Registered in England no. 1095841
VAT registration no. GB 446 9061 33

Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and entered in the FCA register under no. 114239

This email, including any files transmitted with it, is confidential and may be privileged. It may be read, copied and used only by the intended recipient.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify postmaster@sucfin.com immediately and delete it from your computer system.

We believe, but do not warrant, that this email and its attachments are virus-free, but you should check.

Sucden Financial Limited may monitor traffic data of both business and personal emails. By replying to this email, you consent to Sucden Financial 's monitoring
the content of any emails you send to or receive from Sucden Financial . Sucden Financial is not liable for any opinions expressed by the sender where this is a
non-business email.

The contents of this e-mail do not constitute advice and should not be regarded as a recommendation to buy, sell or otherwise deal with any particular investment.
Where any trade ideas are made by an employee of Sucden Financial in an electronic communication, these are made incidentally to your dealing relationship with
us and are provided solely to enable you to make your own investment decisions and do not amount to advice. Please note that the employee may have had many, varied
trade ideas over the past 12 months, including contrary ideas. Any trade ideas are solely based on the employee’s market knowledge and experience and may not be
tailored to your specific circumstances or investment objectives. Please contact the employee who made the trade idea if you would like to see any of his/her trade
ideas made in the previous 12 months for comparative purposes. Please visit our website to view our full risk warnings and disclaimers: www.sucdenfinancial.com.

This message has been scanned for viruses by Mimecast.

Re: Azul and bundling of Apache NetBeans

Posted by Yonathan W`Gebriel <yt...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Congrats,
I hope many good things will come out of it.

—
Yonathan.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Thanks James, yes, it's been an interesting challenge getting as much of
NetBeans as possible over to Apache, and the process is still ongoing. :-)
And, indeed, Azul is a central place to be right now.

Others, re the branding of NetBeans with JDKs, the name -- if the binary is
unchanged, which I believe would be the case (unless the JDK vendor were to
bundle NetBeans with some vendor-specific modules, which initially at least
does not seem like something that will happen), then the name will simply
be "Apache NetBeans", e.g., a bundle at Azul would probably be named "Zulu
JDK with Apache NetBeans".

Gj

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com>.
Congrats, Geertjan! A big, big thank you for helping maneuver the successful handover of NetBeans to Apache, and for keeping NetBeans alive and healthy at Oracle in all the intervening years since the Sun acquisition. Your management and championship has been absolutely essential to the continued success of NetBeans. Cheers to many more years with your involvement in NetBeans!

I think that NetBeans+JDK+nbjavac bundles will be very important from an adoption perspective. Myself, I bundle my NetBeans Platform application with the Azul Zulu JDK.

The only tricky thing is how to brand the bundle without violating the Apache trademark policies. Will every bundled distribution need to explicitly avoid the name "NetBeans"? Or can one say "Apache NetBeans with SomeCorp JDK" so long as the included NetBeans binaries are the unmodified Apache ones, and not a derivative? (I don't know the answer.)

-- Eirik

Posted by James Gosling <ja...@norquay.com>.
Congratulations!  Your time at Oracle has clearly been a trial.  Azul is a great company, doing well.