Posted to user@flink.apache.org by vinay patil <vi...@gmail.com> on 2017/02/16 13:24:43 UTC

Re: Resource under-utilization when using RocksDb state backend [SOLVED]

Hi Cliff,

It will be really helpful if you could share your RocksDB configuration.

I am also running on c3.4xlarge EC2 instances backed by SSD's .

I had tried with FLASH_SSD_OPTIMIZED option which works great but somehow
the pipeline stops in between and the overall processing time increases,

I tried to set different values as mentioned in this video, but somehow I
am not getting it right, the TM's is getting killed after sometime.

Regards,
Vinay Patil

Posted by Clifford Resnick <cr...@mediamath.com>.
Hi Vinay,

We found that our problems were not with RocksDb, but rather what we were throwing at it. We were working with more complex data types (e.g. Collections) and found that nearly 80% of the time was spent in serialization, so optimizing that helped a lot. But if your state is more primitive or aligned to byte[] then another thing to consider (assuming you have a keyed stream) is skew, which might then be helped by an upstream combiner. But to answer your question, we are also running with the default FLASH_SSD_OPTIMIZED.  I did play with increasing buffer size among other things, but found that the benefit was not worth the resource cost. Our data, like most, is naturally clustered on time so based on my rough understanding of RocksDb I’m guessing we get a lot of Level 0 hits, though that is not something I know how to measure.

-Cliff
From: vinay patil <vi...@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 8:24 AM
To: "user@flink.apache.org" <us...@flink.apache.org>