Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Alexius Dionysius Diakogiannis <al...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/31 13:23:00 UTC

Introductory email

Hi everyone,

I am writing to ask to be considered as a committer for NetBeans.

I am a Lead Architect in the European department of Unisystems Greece with
13 years of experience in Java, JEE and Spring

My involvement with Netbeans is the following

   1. I have assisted in in the organization of the Netbeans Day 2017 by
      1. being the mediator for the room and the setup plus a full catering
      throughout the event.
      2. bringing a top php developer and the only certified Drupal partner
      in the Balkans to talk about Netbeans and promote it to his community
   2. I have developed a plugin
   https://github.com/diakogiannis/NB-Short-Maven-Project-Window
   3. I am blogging for it http://www.jee.gr/category/netbeans/
   4. I created a video tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeOFBdIBfSg
   (I am preparing a second one)
   5. Proposed and converted over 35 developers on Netbeans this year on
   Unisystems european Department.
   6. Proposed and got accepted the use of Netbeans as a strategic
   development platform at Unisystems European project sector.
   7. In porccess of arranging small free java training based on netbeans
   for students.

I am looking forward to joining this team,

Best Regards,

Alexius

Re: Introductory email

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Alexius!

In Apache projects, the way to become a committer is not to ask for it --
instead, one simply becomes active over a clear period of time and then
someone from the Apache NetBeans project's PMC (i.e., Project Management
Committee) approaches you to invite you to invite you to become a committer.

"If you become a valuable contributor to the project you may well be
invited to become a committer."
See: https://community.apache.org/contributors/

Another related point is that you'd need to be active in the community of
Apache NetBeans, while you have been active in a number of excellent ways
in the NetBeans community prior to the existence of the Apache NetBeans
(incubating) project.

So, during the next few months, once the code is in Apache and so on, the
Apache NetBeans PMC will begin evaluating those who have become active
within the Apache NetBeans community. Undoubtedly, I believe, you will be
one of these. And then the active people in the community, i.e., people who
have become involved in the community in one way or another (e.g., via code
or documentation or promotion of NetBeans in one way or another) will be
invited to become committers.

Probably -- although this has not been decided yet for the Apache NetBeans
community and this point differs from Apache project to Apache project --
being a committer automatically means that you'll be part of the PMC, i.e.,
the Project Management Committee of Apache NetBeans. Read more about that
here: https://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#what-is-a-pmc

Thanks for your enthusiasm and ongoing support for the Apache NetBeans
(incubating) project and hope this answers your question!

Geertjan