Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Hajo Locke <Ha...@gmx.de> on 2017/01/23 10:06:57 UTC

[users@httpd] apache 2.4 handling of subdomains with unallowed characters

Hello list,

i have some subdomains with unallowed characters, in my case the underscore.

In apache 2.2 subdomains like this worked: sub_domain.domain.com
In apache 2.4 this produces a 400 servererror (bad request)

It seems that apache 2.4's handling of allowed/not allowed chars is more
strict.

Is there a config-option to relax this behaviour to 2.2 standard? I
looked but did not find proper directives.
Otherwise i would quit using not allowed chars.

Thanks,
Hajo

Re: [users@httpd] apache 2.4 handling of subdomains with unallowed characters

Posted by Hajo Locke <Ha...@gmx.de>.
Hello,

Am 24.01.2017 um 07:01 schrieb Nick Kew:
> On Mon, 2017-01-23 at 21:26 +0000, Darryl Philip Baker wrote:
>> DNS doesn\u2019t allow underscore in host and domain names so how a URL
>> with an underscore would have ever worked is beyond me.
> Yeah, but is it the webserver's role to enforce that?
>
> Old answer: be liberal in what you accept.
> New answer: enforce HTTP much more strictly to pre-empt the next
> security alert based on smuggling something through.

> looking for, though I haven't verified it.

yes, |HttpProtocolOptions is the option i was looking for, Thanks. The
invalid subdomain is working again.
I am aware of dangers by setting this to unsafe. I will try to avoid
this und eliminate this invalid hosts.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.

--
Nick Kew

RE: [users@httpd] apache 2.4 handling of subdomains with unallowed characters

Posted by Darryl Philip Baker <da...@northwestern.edu>.
DNS doesn’t allow underscore in host and domain names so how a URL with an underscore would have ever worked is beyond me.

Darryl Baker
Sr. System Administrator
Northwestern | Information Technology
www.it.northwestern.edu

Re: [users@httpd] apache 2.4 handling of subdomains with unallowed characters

Posted by Erik Dobák <er...@gmail.com>.
also i dont recall to see any URL with _ before. is this spam?

Posted by Erik Dobák <er...@gmail.com>.