Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Federico D'Ambrosio <fe...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/10 14:38:53 UTC

Non-local session path expected to be non-null trying to write on Hive using storm-hive

Greetings,
I'mtrying to get a working dataflow stack on a 6 node cluster (2 masters +
4 slaves, no Kerberos) using Kafka (2.10_0.10), Storm (1.0.1) and Hive2
(1.2.1). Storm is able to communicate with Kafka, but can't seemingly
operate on Hive (on master-1), even though it manages to connect to its
metastore.

I thought originally it was a problem of permissions on either HDFS or the
local filesystem, but even though I set 777 permissions on /tmp/hive,
there's still this issue.

In core-site.xml:

   - hadoop.proxyuser.hcat.group
   -

   hadoop.proxyuser.hcat.hosts
   - hadoop.proxyuser.hdfs.groups
   - hadoop.proxyuser.hdfs.hosts
   - hadoop.proxyuser.hive.groups
   - hadoop.proxyuser.hive.hosts
   - hadoop.proxyuser.root.groups
   - hadoop.proxyuser.root.hosts

are all set to '*'.

Hive2, as far as I see is correctly set to work with transactions, being
the target table with transactional=true, stored as orc and bucketed. In
the hive-site.xml:

   - hive.compactor.worker.threads = 1
   - hive.compactor.initiator.on = true
   - hive.txn.manager = org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.lockmgr.DbTxnManager

I get a Nullpointer Exception, you may find the stack trace among the
attached files.

From what I can gather, the NullpointerException is thrown in the following
method inside SessionState:

   1. public static Path getHDFSSessionPath(Configuration conf) {
   2. 	SessionState ss = SessionState.get();
   3. 	if (ss == null) {
   4. 		String sessionPathString = conf.get(HDFS_SESSION_PATH_KEY);
   5. 		Preconditions.checkNotNull(sessionPathString,  "Conf non-local
session path expected to be non-null");
   6. 		return new Path(sessionPathString);
   7. 	}
   8. 	Preconditions.checkNotNull(ss.hdfsSessionPath,  "Non-local
session path expected to be non-null");
   9. 	return ss.hdfsSessionPath;
   10. }

Specifically, by:

   1. Preconditions.checkNotNull(ss.hdfsSessionPath, "Non-local
session path expected to be non-null");

So, it seems to be an hdfs related issue, but I can't understand why it's
happening.

From what I gather, this occurs when Hive tries to retrieve the local path
of the session, which is stored in the _hive.local.session.path
configuration variable. The value of this variable is assigned each time a
new Hive session is created, and it is formed by merging the path for user
temporary files (hive.exec.local.scratchdir) to the session ID (
hive.session.id).

If indeed is a permissions issue, what should I look into to find the
origin of the issue?

Thanks for your help,

Federico

Re: Non-local session path expected to be non-null trying to write on Hive using storm-hive

Posted by Federico D'Ambrosio <fe...@gmail.com>.
I stand corrected. I'm actually bundling hadoop-hdfs-2.7.3, because
otherwise I'd get NoClassDefFound Exception for CanUnbuffer class. To add
to that, I added to my core-site.xml

<property>
   <name>fs.file.impl</name>
   <value>org.apache.hadoop.fs.LocalFileSystem</value>
   <description>The FileSystem for file: uris.</description></property>
<property>
   <name>fs.hdfs.impl</name>
   <value>org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DistributedFileSystem</value>
   <description>The FileSystem for hdfs: uris.</description></property>

to no avail

--
Federico D'Ambrosio

Re: Non-local session path expected to be non-null trying to write on Hive using storm-hive

Posted by Federico D'Ambrosio <fe...@gmail.com>.
Hi, thank you, it turns out that the jar versions I was using in sbt
assembly were indeed the real culprits!
Since I'm using HDP 2.5 all the libraries have an additional package
versioning "-157", while I was using the normal packages someone can find
on maven central. Since in the official release jar repo of Hortonworks (
http://repo.hortonworks.com/content/repositories/releases/) there are no
-157 packages, I had to use as repo this one:
http://nexus-private.hortonworks.com/nexus/content/groups/public/ (slow as
hell, but anyway working). I actually did not think that the difference in
packaging, even within the same version) could have ever been the cause of
such issues.

--
Federico D'Ambrosio

Re: Non-local session path expected to be non-null trying to write on Hive using storm-hive

Posted by Eugene Koifman <ek...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Federico D'Ambrosio <fe...@gmail.com>.

--
Federico D'Ambrosio

Re: Non-local session path expected to be non-null trying to write on Hive using storm-hive