Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by John Joseph <jj...@yahoo.com> on 2006/07/25 13:31:58 UTC

Endividual user settings for Spam , advice needed

Hi   All

     If I have a situation in which , some users had
subscribed to  some  mailing list , after some time
they forget they did subscribed to so and so list and
thats the reason  they are receiving such mails ,now
they request that all those mails they do not want in
their inbox , in such case I cannot consider those
mail as spam and add to the spam database, since it is
from a mailing list  which they had subscribed , or I
cannot tell them to un-subscribe
                   In such a case , can I do some user
level settings , so that the rules which I set will be
applicable to the  user which demands this feature
for the setup in which
                 I will be having  my users running
XP ,  Mdaemon Mail Server on MS OS   , and I am using
Spamassassin  on Linux
                  I do not want to set any filter
rules on the mail client , I want a custom spam filter
for this type of users,  at spamassassin server . so
that  other users wont be affected by this setup
I am using spamassassin version 3.1.3
      Guidance requested
                            Thanks
                                   Joseph John

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

Re: Endividual user settings for Spam , advice needed

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.
On Wednesday 26 July 2006 00:42, jdow wrote:
> For small installations, where I think SA can be at its most
> devastatingly accurate, per user rules are required.

> For large installations per user rules become cumbersome time eaters.
> They just don't need to enable it at all, take the accuracy hit, and
> proceed with life doing the best they can.

My take is exactly the opposite.  Small shops are usually focused,
and single purpose, and can live fine with site-wide rules.

Larger companies have many more specialties working together
and the advertising manager would want different rules than
the engineer.  Individual rules are essential.

This is what bayes is for.  The power and accuracy of bayes seems to
overshadow all the other rules.

The big missing feature in SA is a standardized and reliable way
of training individual bayes databases of users.  If you have a windows
shop with linux mail servers and you don't run imap its almost impossible
to get end users to train their bayes.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: Endividual user settings for Spam , advice needed

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Loren Wilton" <lw...@earthlink.net>

> Sa can itself only classify mail as ham or spam.  You have a third category > here,
> "unwanted ham".  You will need something else in the mail chain, perhaps procmail or
> something like that, to help make this distinction.
>
> What you can do is write a rule that will detect this particualr kind of mail.  Probably
> give the rule a score that marks the mail as spam.  Then you need a filter after SA that
> can detect that this rule hit, and reclassify the mail as unwanted spam.
>
> You could make this a site-wide rule if nobody wants this particular kind of mail.  Or
> you could do a site-wide rule that was a meta and included the address of the recipient
> that doesn't want this mail.
>
> If your users are local and have home directories, you *could* enable user rules, and
> stick the rule into the user config file for just the user complaining.  This won't (I
> think) work if you don't have user directories for the user_prefs files.
>
> The SA devs don't like allowing user rules, although I'm personally in favor of them.
> So you might want to go with the site-wide rule solution.

And you and I are good proof that per user rules are needed. You are
a man and like one set of subjects. I am a woman and like a somewhat
different but heavily overlapped set of subjects. If we shared exactly
the same rules I suspect one of us would soon get disgusted and turn
off SpamAssassin.

For small installations, where I think SA can be at its most
devastatingly accurate, per user rules are required. (Per user rule
editing - maybe not for a home with children or a small office
server for a set of office suites in a building. But I betcha a
Real Estate office needs different rules than a lawyer's office
and both of those would definately not work for a gynecologist's
office.)

For large installations per user rules become cumbersome time eaters.
They just don't need to enable it at all, take the accuracy hit, and
proceed with life doing the best they can.

{^_-}

Re: Endividual user settings for Spam , advice needed