Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by he...@dnbnor.no on 2004/03/22 15:41:16 UTC

SV: Making Struts Build Easier (Re: "coming out" for JSF + Struts , was: Struts JSR?)

Hi

I think that the move to Maven is a giant leap forward. Now at least we
can build with requisite jars that are already build. Earlier it ment
that you would have to buil a bunch of projects before you could
actually do the real build. Also you can have local repositories for
when you are offline.

Hermod

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 hermod.opstvedt@dnbnor.no wrote:

> Hi
>
> I think that the move to Maven is a giant leap forward. Now at least we
> can build with requisite jars that are already build. Earlier it ment
> that you would have to buil a bunch of projects before you could
> actually do the real build. Also you can have local repositories for
> when you are offline.

Building the dependencies yourself has *never* been required for Struts.
You can build against released versions of Commons components, or, when
those are in flux and we've been depending on unreleased features, on the
nightly builds of them.

Note that with Maven, you actually have a stronger requirement than with
the Ant build - that the versions of the Commons dependencies you need
have been made available in a Maven repository. (Yes, that can be worked
around, but we're talking here about the ease with which you can just type
'maven' and have everything happen.)

--
Martin Cooper