Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by raja buddha <ja...@hotmail.com> on 2005/05/24 17:04:39 UTC

Validation Frame work

Hi all
In struts why do we need validation frame work  we have java script
to do validations. Is there any extra advantage of using the validation
frame work

raj

RE: Validation Frame work

Posted by Steve Kirk <to...@web-startup.co.uk>.
David is right, JS and serverside validation perform different roles.  To
expand on his comment a bit more, remember that the requests that your
webapp receives could be sent by any HTTP client, not necessarily by a
friendly web browser.  If someone were so inclined, they could write their
own HTTP client to interact with your webapp, that aimed to deliberately
submit bad data to your servlet, in which case your JS validation would have
been bypassed.  What they can't do is bypass your serverside validation (or
at least this is much harder).

Just one trick that such nasty people might try is to insert JS code in any
form fields that you let them create or edit.  If this field data is then
"displayed" in other pages of your app, this might cause anyone viewing that
page on your site to download a trojan/virus/etc.  It's really very easy to
do.  And this is only one such exploit.  There are many others.

Re: Validation Frame work

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.