Posted to user@xmlbeans.apache.org by Joseph Mihalich <jm...@is-mwv.com> on 2005/06/02 17:20:12 UTC

XMLBean jar file in ear's deployed in JBoss 3.2.6

            Hi,

               We're seeing a problem deploying our compiled xmlbean
jar's

            Into JBoss 3.2.6, when they are inside multiple ear files.

               First, here is the configuration of the box that exhibits
the problem:

                  Windows XP SP2

                  JDK 1.4.2_08

                  JBoss 3.2.6 (Deploying to "default" configuration)

                  XmlBeans 1.0.4

               OK, so here is the problem we're seeing.

               We have a jar file, let's call it "MySchema.jar" which is
a jar

            File compiled from a schema file "MySchema.xsd".  This jar
file

            is deployed in multiple ear files (in this case, it's
specifically 3

            ear files).  All of the ear files are dropped into the JBoss
server/default/deploy

            directory.  I would like to point out up front that I
performed a binary

            compare of MySchema.jar that was in all 3 ear files, and the

            binaries were identical, and had the same date/time stamp on
them.

               Jboss starts up fine with no exceptions, and all ear's
are successfully

            Deployed, and everything is happy.

               Then, a client application will make a web service call
into an EJB in JBoss

            that resides in one of the ear files that I deployed.  The
web service call contains

            an xml document and we use XML Beans to parse it, inside the
EJB.

               As soon as we call the "parse" method on the appropriate
document object

            In the MySchema.jar file, the following exception is thrown
by XMLBeans:

ERROR com.mwvis.sm.xmlhandler.AuthenticateUserXmlMarshaller : XML
exception thrown.

org.apache.xmlbeans.XmlException: XML object is not of type
D=AuthenticateUserRequest@http://www.mwvis.com/sm/schema/AuthenticateUse
rRequest

            at
org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.store.Root.autoTypedDocument(Root.java:436)

            at
org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.store.Root.loadXml(Root.java:1038)

            at
org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.store.Root.loadXml(Root.java:1028)

            at
org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.store.Root.loadXml(Root.java:1048)

            at
org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.schema.SchemaTypeLoaderBase.parse(SchemaTypeLoa
derBase.java:200)

            at
com.mwvis.sm.schema.authenticateUserRequest.AuthenticateUserRequestDocum
ent$Factory.parse(Unknown Source)

            at
com.mwvis.sm.xmlhandler.AuthenticateUserXmlMarshaller.unmarshal(Authenti
cateUserXmlMarshaller.java:100)

               Note, that the bottom most line in the stack trace is
where our code is entered in JBoss.

               This is not a namespace or some type of invalid xml
issue, because we are able to solve the

problem by removing MySchema.jar from all 3 ear files, and placing
MySchema.jar into the

JBoss server/default/lib directory, which is a directory of shared
libraries.  After doing that,

the exception went away, and everything works fine.

               Having said that, obviously the problem is not really
that the XML is not of the right type as

            the exception indicates...and is more likely some kind of
low level class loading issue, related

            to JBoss.  Based on all my testing, I get the feeling that
there is some other exception being

            thrown down in the xml beans code, which is ultimately being
mapping to that exception

            that is thrown back up to our code.

               At this time, I have to assume this is an XMLBeans issue,
since it is a normal case

            To have the same jar file in multiple ear's in a J2EE
environment, and no other jar files

            duplicated across our ears are having any problems like
this.

               Can anyone shed some light on this subject?  If you've
also encountered this problem

            And have or have not solved it I would like to hear from
you.  Also, If you have any ideas

            That would help me debug this further that would be great.
And, if this is a known bug

            That would be great to know as well.  I've searched the
email list archives and didn't

            Find this specific issue anywhere, but I have not searched
the bug database as of yet.

            Thanks,

            Joe

Re: XMLBean jar file in ear's deployed in JBoss 3.2.6

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
I believe you have encountered one of the more common errors from
JBoss's unified classloader, namely that it can't keep track very well
of which version of a class present in multiple jars is the one you
want to use.   My impression is that this sort of problem has plagued
them for years.  I suggest you try a more recent jboss version or
specify that each ear gets loaded in a separate child unified
classloader.  IIRC I wrote code to allow you to do that by specifying a
classloader object name in the jboss application dd, but that was
several years ago and I have no idea what the current state of the code
is or if such a mechanism is still present.

IMO the fact that the problem goes away when you have only one copy of
the xmlbeans classes in jboss indicates that this problem is not
related to xmlbeans.

thanks
david jencks