Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Edward Zhang <yo...@apache.org> on 2016/12/06 18:30:16 UTC

[DISCUSS] Graduating Apache Eagle

Hi,

Apache Eagle started incubation in October last year. With the whole year's
tireless efforts, this podling has made great progress in delivering useful
and complete features in monitoring large Apache Hadoop clusters, being
open to grow community, and operating the project in Apache way.

Today with great support from our mentors and Eagle community[1][2], I
would like bring the discussion of graduating Apache Eagle to top level
project with proposed resolution below.

The Apache Eagle community has discussed graduation for some time and
prepared maturity self-assessment [3]. Also here I want to list all the
facts that Eagle community has achieved during incubation so far.

> Key features and framework improvement
In feature wise, Apache Eagle expands from supporting HDFS audit log
monitoring at the beginning to a complete spectrum of monitoring features,
e.g. Apache Hadoop JMX metrics, Yarn applications, Job performance, Cluster
resource usage etc.

In order for supporting numerous use cases in monitoring large Apache
Hadoop clusters, Apache Eagle also delivered framework artifacts to make
integrating new monitoring application very easy. The framework artifacts
include stream based CEP alert engine, monitoring application lifecycle
management framework and flexible query language backed by Apache HBase.

> Releases
2 formal releases were finished and now 0.5 release which is important
milestone is in baking staging and will be out soon.

> Community growth and product adoptions.
5 new committers from different companies joined Apache Eagle as committer
since incubation. Now totally Apache Eagle has 14 committers. Also we are
glad to see that some companies have deployed Apache Eagle as monitoring
solution for Apache Hadoop clusters.

> Development activities
700 + pull requests from 20 individual contributors, 800+ JIRA tickets
(resolved ~600).  Community has been continuously active.

> Conferences
We attended many conferences e.g. Hadoop summit, Strata+Hadoop world, QCon
etc. to evangelize Apache Eagle's ability in monitoring large Apache Hadoop
clusters and learn how to improve.

Now we are going to propose the following board resolution for graduating
to top level project.

Resolution:

Establish the Apache Eagle Project

open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the

public, related to a distributed monitoring solution for identifying
security and performance issues in real time on big data platforms,
including Apache Hadoop and Apache Spark etc.

Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Eagle Project",

Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Eagle Project be and hereby is

related to a distributed monitoring solution for identifying security and
performance issues in real time on big data platforms, including Apache
Hadoop and Apache Spark etc.;

and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Eagle" be

and hereby is created, the person holding such office to

serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair

of the Apache Eagle Project, and to have primary responsibility

for management of the projects within the scope of

responsibility of the Apache Eagle Project; and be it further

Apache Eagle Project:

* Edward Zhang <yo...@apache.org>

* Hao Chen <ha...@apache.org>

* Qingwen Zhao <qi...@apache.org>

* Jilin Jiang <ji...@apache.org>

* Ralph Su <ra...@apache.org>

* Jinhu Wu <ji...@apache.org>

* Daniel Zhou <da...@apache.org>

* Kumar Senthil <senthilec566.apache.org>

* Dendukuri Hemanth <hd...@apache.org>

* Wu Michael <mw...@apache.org>

* Manoharan Arun <ar...@apache.org>

* Gupta Chaitali <cg...@apache.org>

* Libin Sun <li...@apache.org>

* P. Taylor Goetz <pt...@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Edward Zhang

be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Eagle, to

serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the

death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,

or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Eagle PMC be and hereby is

tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to

encourage open development and increased participation in the

Apache Eagle Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Eagle Project be and hereby

Incubator Eagle podling; and be it further

Incubator Eagle podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator

Project are hereafter discharged.

[1]  http://markmail.org/thread/eznd2kfei3mxbzxg
[2]  http://apache.markmail.org/thread/s2yegpmxf3g7fa34
[3]  https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/EAG/Eagle+Podli
ng+Maturity+Assessment

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduating Apache Eagle

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
HI Bertrand,

Thanks for the comment.

I am one of the mentors for Eagle.

I have reviewed the list of the maturity guide, and for it always more
of suggestion as whether a project is ready for graduation, and have
been using it as is.
Unless there is a glaring misrepresentation of state of the union of
the podling, I did not raise any comment on it.

But, day to day operations, the community has been following the
Apache Way of development.

As for CS50, I believe it was about initial technical design that
happened offline, but I believe ALL design proposal that come to
source, always end up to dev@ and JIRA before being implemented.

- Henry

Posted by Edward Zhang <yo...@gmail.com>.
Ok, Julian, I will add you when we start formal vote.

Thanks
Edward

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 8:43 AM, Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...I am glad that the project acknowledges that there is a problem and is working
> to solve it....

Ok and thanks for agreeing to stay on the PMC!

With concerns like this (even minor apparently) it's good to have more
Apache Members on board.

-Bertrand

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduating Apache Eagle

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
I think it was this section:

"
The resolution should be proposed on the general incubator list before
a VOTE is started to allow feedback.
Once a consensus has been reached, a VOTE should be started on the
same general incubator list by a member of the PPMC proposing that the
IPMC recommends the resolution to the Board.
"

can be considered as suggestion to send DISCUSS thread before VOTE in
general@ list.

- Henry

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Fwd: [DISCUSS] Graduating Apache Eagle

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.
Heads up to Impala PMC members: you may be asked about your open
source resume when Impala asks to graduate.

Nothing to worry about, but we should be cognizant that graduation
time may be an all-hand-on-deck situation, since presumably whomever
will propose us won't have this detailed information at their
fingertips and will need to communicate with each PMC member
individually if unexpected questions come up.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
Aside from a genuine interest in the success of the project, one of my motivations to stay on was to make sure at least one mentor stay on board. I wouldn't mind additional mentors staying on, but don't see that as a requirement. Eagle seems to be in pretty good shape.

I imagine the project may need some post graduation help with things like procedures, karma, etc. Which I can provide. Beyond that, diversification (or better stated: lack of undue influence by any single organization) would be one of my focal points for things to watch.

It would be good keep more than one mentor's eye on the project, but also have a lot of faith in Eagle.

-Taylor

Posted by Edward Zhang <yo...@apache.org>.
Yes, Roman we have download link in eagle docs.
http://eagle.incubator.apache.org/docs/download-0.4.0.html.
Also, there is 0.3 version in archived link.
http://eagle.incubator.apache.org/docs/download.html

Now we support source code download and follow the guideline to build it.

Thanks
Edward

Posted by Edward Zhang <yo...@apache.org>.
Thanks, we will look at download link issues and hope to fix them soon.

Thanks
Edward

Posted by Edward Zhang <yo...@apache.org>.
Thanks for fixing download link issue.

Since the discussion is calming down, we would like to start VOTE thread
soon if there is no more comment or concern, thanks so much for your
participation.

Thanks
Edward

Posted by Hao Chen <ha...@apache.org>.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.

[1] http://eagle.incubator.apache.org/docs/download-0.4.0.html <http://eagle.incubator.apache.org/docs/download-0.4.0.html>

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
HI Roman, John,

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 1:50 PM, Edward Zhang <yo...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > Sure, Roman.
> >
> > The company affiliations for proposed PMCs are as follows.
> >
> > * Edward Zhang <yo...@apache.org> ebay
> > * Hao Chen <ha...@apache.org>  ebay
> > * Qingwen Zhao <qi...@apache.org> ebay
> > * Jilin Jiang <ji...@apache.org>  yhd.com
> > * Ralph Su <ra...@apache.org> ebay
> > * Jinhu Wu <ji...@apache.org> ebay
> > * Daniel Zhou <da...@apache.org> dataguise
> > * Kumar Senthil <senthilec566@apache.org <
> http://senthilec566.apache.org/>>
> > ebay
> > * Dendukuri Hemanth <hd...@apache.org> ebay
> > * Wu Michael <mw...@apache.org> ebay
> > * Manoharan Arun <ar...@apache.org> adobe
> > * Gupta Chaitali <cg...@apache.org> ebay
> > * Libin Sun <li...@apache.org> paypal
> > * P. Taylor Goetz <pt...@apache.org> hortonworks (mentor and ASF
> member)
>
> Thanks! FWIW: I'm a bit concerned about EBay having a significant dominance
> on the PMC AND having just a single ASF member there. Each one of those
> separately would be manageable, but a combination makes me a tad worried.
> Nothing that would warrant -1 yet, but I'd like to dig a little deeper.
>
> If you don't mind, can you please talk a little bit more about each PMC
> member's
> experience with ASF (what other projects they are in, etc.) and open
> source in
> general?

In addition, there are 5 mentors listed on the podling.  Only Taylor wants
to continue on?

Mentors hsaputra Henry Saputra
. omalley Owen O'Malley
. jhyde Julian Hyde
. ptgoetz P. Taylor Goetz
. amareshwari Amareshwari Sriramadasu

There was a pretty full house on sign offs last month from the mentors.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Edward Zhang <yo...@apache.org>.
Sure, Roman.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.