Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Oleg Zhurakousky <ol...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/07 19:14:46 UTC

Differences between 'mapped' and 'mapreduce' packages

What is the differences between the two?
It seems like MR job could be configured using one of the other (e.g, "extends MapReduceBase implements Mapper" of "extends Mapper")

Cheers
Oleg

Re: Differences between 'mapped' and 'mapreduce' packages

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@thoughtworks.com>.
>From a user perspective, at a high level, the mapreduce package can be
thought of as having user facing client code that can be invoked, extended
etc as applicable from client programs.

The mapred package is to be treated as internal to the mapreduce system,
and shouldn't directly be used unless no alternative in the mapreduce
package is available.

Thanks
Hemanth

Posted by Mahesh Balija <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi Oleg,

         Mapreduce 0.20.* api has the support for both 0.19 api (which is
MapRed package in which your mapper should extend MRBase and implements
Mapper) and it has the new api as well (which is MapReduce packages where
you directly extend Mapper).

         As there are significant changes in 20 api may be for backward
compatibility mapred package is still in existence.
         There are few classes which exist in 19 api and those are not
supported in 0.20.* version.

Best,
Mahesh Balija,
Calsoft Labs.

Posted by Sandeep Dukkipati <sa...@gmail.com>.
I am a little new to the hadoop world. But based on my readings and
understanding thus far, there is not much functionality difference. Only
difference is new API allows you to implement push and pull mechanisms in
your map/reduce tasks as against push in old API. Mapper has been changed
to super class as against interface, so more functionality could be added
without affecting clients.

Please see,
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7598422/is-it-better-to-use-the-mapred-or-the-mapreduce-package-to-create-a-hadoop-job

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Oleg Zhurakousky <

Posted by Sandeep Dukkipati <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@thoughtworks.com>.

Posted by Mahesh Balija <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi Oleg,