Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Robert S. Thau" <rs...@ai.mit.edu> on 1996/05/31 04:41:31 UTC

Threaded server on Solaris...

As part of a last attempt to track down the problems with running my
threads code on Solaris, I tried linking it with the static version of
-lsocket.  All of a sudden, select() stopped segfaulting, and the threads
package passed its own tests; I even got the web server to pass my usual
smoke tests as well.  Needless to say, this whole situation does *not*
give me the warm fuzzies.  Still, the same code has been doing a remarkably
credible imitation of a stable web server on www.ai.mit.edu since Sunday.
(That machine runs SunOS).

I've updated ftp://ftp.ai.mit.edu/pub/users/rst/apache-XX.tar.gz
to contain the works-better (or perhaps just broke-less) Solaris
configuration; there are also a couple of new Solaris-specific
#ifdefs which should have no effect whatever on other platforms.

Release engineering sucks.

rst

Re: Threaded server on Solaris...

Posted by ra...@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca.
> Still, the same code has been doing a remarkably
> credible imitation of a stable web server on www.ai.mit.edu since Sunday.
> (That machine runs SunOS).

Server: Apache/1.2dev Arachne-threads/0.00-DESTRUCT-0

Nice server name there...

Is the code at a point where I can start to use it as a basis for making
my various modules compatible with it?

Also, what are the plans for this threaded server?  Can we make it a
configuration option at some point so people can actually choose if they
would like to use a single threaded server or the older forking model?
I assume it is possible to run multiple threaded servers for the same
domain.  I have a 4 processor Sparc box sitting here where it might be
interesting to see what 4 threaded Apache servers each running on its
own cpu would perform like.

-Rasmus